Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Bonzai!!!!

Last night was a night of broadening horizons.

Our friend Rob took us out for sushi as a belated birthday present and, while I have had sushi plenty of times before, I have been somewhat wimpy about it. Not that I would just stick to California Rolls, but I would stick to things like that that came in the roll with the rice, and seaweed wrap. Your spicy tuna roll, your shrimp tempura roll, etc. Last night I went beyond that. As we were dining with a consummate sushi professional, we let Rob take the ordering reins and I just ate whatever was in front of me. Eel, Toro, Yellowtail--you name it, I ate it. And it was delicious. You sushi enthusiasts may be laughing, but this was big for me. There was a culinary bridge built uniting East and West. And the sake....oh, the sake! I had only had it once before and the details of that night are somewhat hazy. The things I do remember would rival any embarrassing drunken tale. So I was a little leery about trying it again. I'll be damned if it wasn't the smoothest alcoholic beverage I have ever tasted. It was a fine bottle called Tamade and it was like trying Belvedere after a lifetime of Popov. It was like butta.

Man, what a nice day it is outside. A little chilly but not too cold. No wind to piss me off. And the slight possibility of rain. Conrad just checked in...we have visual confirmation of rain sprinkles! Cue the playlist!! Woo hoo! Bring it on!

I watched "The Devil Wears Prada" last night and I gotta say I really liked it. I haven't read the book, but based on what I have read about the differences between the two, I think this might be a rare example of a movie being better than the book it was based on. If the Meryl Streep character was the fashion industry's version of the boss from hell though, it's got nothing on the film business. The worst she did was call her assistant fat and rudely dismiss her. Try enduring that while dodging a fax machine thrown at your head. It really surprises me that these type of people survive as long as they do without one of their staff getting fed up and beating the snot out of them. I guess they have a knack for casting.

3 comments:

Conrad said...

I think your drink for January should be..."I SAY SAKE, YOU SAY..."

AJ said...

No, no-- movie was good, book was far better. But casting was EXCELLENT.

j.h.k. said...

You bet.