Wednesday, May 02, 2007

More on getting my walking papers...

So I have until June 15th. 23 vacation days paid out. Severance package pending.

Truthfully, I'm really not massively upset about the whole thing. It's kind of like the It's-Not-You-It's-Me breakup of professional relationships though. One day they tell you that it's been a rough year for the company and they are being forced to cut back and it's not performance-based, etc. etc. And then the next morning you get your normal e-mail from the head of the corporation boasting about the company's great First Quarter:

We achieved strong results in the first quarter – exceeding our own expectations, as well as Wall Street’s, for profitability. Our revenues rose 9% to $11.2 billion and our adjusted OIBDA (the metric we use to measure profits) increased 19% to $3.1 billion, as compared to the first quarter of 2006.

Funny, no? I'm not bitter. Really, I'm not. This is the name of the game in the corporate world so while it is shocking, it's also not surprising at all. As of now, I am looking at it as a positive thing. While I was perfectly satisfied with this job at the time, it was not my dream job and not someplace I wanted to be for the rest of my professional life. So this could be the kick in the ass I have needed to break away for the better. I hope.

It's true, I have gotten used to the lifestyle this particular job has afforded me. I'm not referring to money in any way. I'm talking about my daily routine, going to the company gym in the morning, working with friends, playing on the department softball team, working great hours, etc. The disruption of those things is what will hurt more than anything else.

But I do believe that everything happens for a reason. Hopefully, this change will lead to something better directly, but even if it doesn't, I have faith that in the long run it will.

Who has time for mourning or bitterness? I'm out there again, baby! Let the bidding begin!

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I'm also scared shitless.

2 comments:

Conrad said...

Not to mention the internet access that keeps this blog up and running.

I don't know if you kept his email or not, but I'm going to remind you of all the things you won't miss, from Jim K--

"I won’t miss pilot season. I won’t miss paper jams in the copier – EVERY TIME I GO TO MAKE A COPY! I won’t miss calls from the wrap department asking me questions from 4 seasons ago. I won’t miss calls from my VP or Producer asking me for information in five minutes even though it really takes about 2 hours to put together. I won’t miss trying to get costs to stop hitting my GL’s – 6 months after the season is over! I won’t miss changing my 20 passwords every X amount of days. No matter how much I love him, I won’t miss talking about politics or life in general with Russell Wycoff. I won’t miss walking the halls with Jake and having someone scream out, “hey, there’s Jake and the Fat Man” (yeah, take a guess who I was). And finally, I won’t miss SAP."

Adam and Myisha Partridge said...

They can't fire you. You quit!
(That sucks. I've been there. You'll be fine.)