Monday, February 26, 2007

"UMASS, '79!!"


Friday night I went to the Church of Great Music and, brothers and sisters, Father James Taylor delivered a sermon!

Okay, so all I am saying is that I went to the James Taylor concert. However, my love for the man's music and shows is so deep, it really is a soul-cleansing, church-like experience for me. Especially this show because it was part of his One Man Band Tour, meaning it's not the big show with all the backup musicians and singers and such. I love those shows too, but this was the JT show I had always wanted to see, just him and his guitar (and a keyboard player too). He told stories about each song and showed old pictures and home movies to illustrate them. I think it tipped the Chill Counter at 103 chills gotten in a three hour span. Some of my favorite songs in the world were suddenly put into a new context. I was near tears once or twice. Yeah, I said it. So what? We're talking James Taylor! One song was even given new life. "Slap Leather" was reinvented as a near-rap song sang into a megaphone rather than a mic and an incredible wooden drum machine that looked like something only Buddy The Elf could make. While I was just now looking for a picture of it (unsuccessfully), I read that he built the s.o.b. himself. And he's friggin' hilarious to boot! Really smart, humble, genuine humor. This was a show I will remember for the rest of my life, one to tell the grandkids about.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

rad! I love concerts like that. The life changing kind.