Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Also known as February



Why is it called Black History Month and not African-American History Month?

I'm not arguing it should be one over the other. Either one is fine by me. I'm just saying, given that "African-American" is the more widely used, politically correct term, I don't understand why it's still called "Black History Month." The latter definitely sounds better. It seems to resonate more, I think. It's just semantics, I guess, but it feels more meaningful to say "Black History."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saw "Pursuit of Happiness" over the weekend. Wow, what a great story. One of those that makes it hard to ever complain about my life again. I'm pretty sure I can never complain about money again after seeing what this guy went through. It reminded me of "It's a Wonderful Life" in that you have this benevolent, good-hearted character who has every conceivable thing go wrong to the point that his horrible luck becomes almost comical and yet he perseveres and comes out on top in the end. However, in "It's a Wonderful Life," George Bailey does finally reach a point where he cracks and understandably feels sorry for himself whereas the Chris Gardener character never seems to reach that point, a few tears his only sign that he might lose his will. It was one of those movies that makes me wonder if I would have the courage and smarts to do what this character did if I were put in the same situation. I don't know and I hope I never have to find out. I'm curious what in the movie was non-fiction and what was the filmmakers taking some dramatic license. It doesn't really matter, but I am curious.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why do so many people not like Peyton Manning? I'm not talking about Patriots fans or NFL fans in general; I'm talking about people that don't follow the game but who tend to lean towards dislike for P.M. and really don't understand why themselves. I can't tell you how many times last week I heard a non-NFL fan say "I don't know, I'm not a big Peyton Manning fan so..." This is borderline fascinating to me because his image is that which would normally and probably should be loved by non-football-watching America.

Then on the other end of the spectrum, you have my friend Amy who apparently thinks Peyton Manning is a hunk. He's "aaaaall man" according to her. I also don't get that. Tom Brady, sure. Phillip Rivers, okay. Peyton Manning? Really? Alright, I guess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joe started the countdown yesterday and I will continue it today...9 DAYS until pitchers and catchers report...9 SHORT DAYS....Those of us who can't wait have college baseball down in the LBC at least...Go Dirtbags. I even brought in the 2002 World Series DVD today. Those who argue that football is modern America's pastime don't know my fever....I've got a FEVAH! And the only prescription is more BASEBALL!

1 comment:

Joe said...

Amen, brother.

I can almost hear the crack of the bat now.

Sigh...