Thursday, October 31, 2013

Game of Kings


I've just learned how to play chess.  I had tried once before when I was maybe 16, but I didn't have the patience then even for learning it, much less for playing it.  I don't know, maybe it just caught me on a bad day.  Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I was visiting a friend on his birthday and I got roped into playing again, but this time it took.

It wasn't even traditional chess, it was this special, expanded four-person board that made it all the more complicated.  At first, I was completely lost.  I didn't know what the hell was going on or how I was supposed to get the ball rolling.  I kept a tight perimeter around my King and Queen and was even hesitant to let my Pawns stray too far from the castle keep.  As the game went on though and I lost a piece or two unexpectedly, I began to catch on and start to think every move and every accompanying opponent's move through.  Even by the end, I couldn't quite see the board the way an experienced player would and I had to talk myself through each move like I was teaching a first grader arithmetic.  I also had a lot of help from my gracious buddies.

We played for hours and had a really good time.  I love the intricacy of it and the pace, which for me was admittedly glacial.  I don't know how those little clocks that some people use factor in and I don't think I want to know.  When we were in Alaska this summer, we would have these stretches of time when we were on the boat for a few hours, on a run to our next anchorage, and we'd break out the board games.  If we ever get back there, I'm bringing chess.  It should come as no surprise that I am already a total sucker to the idea of playing chess in front of a fireplace with a glass of brandy or a mug of coffee for hours on end this holiday season.  I know, I'm a living, breathing cliche of a dork, but you know what, so be it.  Oooo, chess in the park sounds pretty awesome as well.  I always saw those guys playing in Washington Square Park and I didn't really think about it, but I totally get it now.

It beats Chutes and Ladders, that's for sure.

No comments: