Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Sniff

I know I've talked about this before, but since when does that stop me from saying it all over again....I get it from my old man.


It always amazes me how powerful a simple scent can be. The other night, I was on one of my walks and for the briefest of moments I smelled Disneyland at night. It could have been Knott's Berry Farm too. It was a unique bouquet of street vendor hot dogs, pavement, water (like a fountain), and the summer night air. Even though I only caught this whiff for a second or two, I was overwhelmed with the desire to be at Disneyland. Not only that, memories of many teenage nights at Knott's Berry Farm came flooding back like the splash down on the log ride. No, I was not high at the time.

Today as I was walking out of Target, I got the smell of popcorn in my nose. Sidebar: doesn't the popcorn at Target always smell incredible? Anyway, within those few steps between the corn and the door, I was reminded of all the lazy summer days spent at the movie theater. Lakewood Center to be specific. The big one, not the smaller Lakewood Center South. Now I can hear Mr. Moviefone in my head telling me for the umpteenth time where it is located (Faculty, South of Candlewood). I smelled the popcorn and it was almost like being back there. I could see it in my head, the ginormous theater, the cardboard cutout ads on the way in, the gold curtains. And of course, the many summer blockbusters we saw there, with a big bucket of highly "buttered" popcorn and a Mr. Pibb or Cherry Coke. For a minute there, I really longed for the freedom of the old days, having nothing to do but play and little more to worry about in life at all (it was a brief period in time, the worry-free). I can't tell you how badly I wanted to skip work and head for the movies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post, I had s similar experience the other day. There was a recent summer storm that cleared away all the humidity and it was a PERFECT day following the storm, exactly like a thousand other Long Beach summer days. Then I smelled a BBQ pit and I was instantly transported to Hunington Beach near Jack in the box and a hundred different bonfires that I attended there. But I was pleasantly surprised at my reaction: I didn't want to be in Hunington Beach. I wanted to be right where I was doing exactly what I was doing. That was kind of a big step for me

j.h.k. said...

Ah I know that smell well. My drive home takes me along Dockweiler State Beach where they have the same firepits. I roll down the window and take a deep breath through my nose everytime.