Monday, June 01, 2009

Maybe their future is too bright?


In the last couple months, I have developed a new pet peeve. Great news, right? I really needed another one, I'm sure you'll agree. So the latest thing that I can't stand, that makes me want to slap somebody are these people that wear their sunglasses indoors. Maybe it's just me noticing it more, but it seems like it's getting to be a lot more prevalent. I go to Whole Foods for lunch and there will undoubtedly be some hispter sporting his neon pink Ray-Bans in the fresh buffet. Go home and watch TV and I can't escape the designated driver public service announcement with the guy in the back seat singing along with Biz Markie....and wearing sunglasses in the dead of night. On the plane to my honeymoon destination, there was a douche who did not take his sunglasses off the entire flight--an evening flight in the thick of a nasty thunderstorm, mind you. Could a person be any more gratuitous and pathetically grasping if they wore a t-shirt that said "I am trying SO hard to be cool." Actually, no because such a t-shirt would be seen as sarcastic and we all know the sarcastic t-shirt is a whole other battle in itself. If achieving "coolness" is something these people are so earnestly striving for, you would at least think that they would understand that the coolest of the cool, i.e. George Clooney, do it without looking like they're trying so hard. Maybe it's the difference between Classic Cool and Hipster Cool. Come to think of it, wasn't Joe wearing his sunglasses on the plane on the flight home? Did he take them off when he woke up? I don't recall. My policy is, if you are wearing sunglasses at night or indoors, you had better be Jack Nicholson.

6 comments:

Valerie Koop said...

You know what my pet peeve is?

Having my blog link say "future sister in law" instead of "Classic Cool Sister in Law"

j.h.k. said...

Consider yourself peeve relieved!

Lindsay said...

i wore sunglasses on the all the way home on the plane flight back from your wedding because i was so hungover and exhausted, and i looked like crap without them. i hope we can still be friends.

Lindsay said...

and i was so distressed by it that i can't quite write grammatically correct sentences now. great.

j.h.k. said...

Oooo, that's a really tough one. I'll try to give you the benefit of the doubt but...

AJ said...

I want you to know that I have retinal scarring and even I try to avoid wearing sunglasses indoors. That's how much I wanna be your friend.

On an overcast day, though? Still gotta don the shades sometimes.