Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Facebook Conundrum or Joe, you might not be able to hide from me anymore

I am a long standing member of the Anti-Facebook Society. I may as well be a founding father of the club. I know you've all heard my rants/reasons for this opposition so I won't go into it too much here. Basically, I feel that Facebook is a lazy shortcut to maintaining personal relationships. It's frustrated me to no end how my supposed best friends had important things going in their lives that they would announce on Facebook, but never personally to me. In this month's GQ, David Amsden writes that "our 'connected' culture is breeding a pandemic of isolation. That succinctly explains my larger, conceptual hatred for Facebook. I feel like, while we may be communicating more, we are simultaneously drawing back further and further into our own personal pods, with less and less reason to leave our couches or even pick up a phone. I am a big proponent of both. But, to quote the DeNiro character in Heat, there's a flipside to that coin (I think I have used this quote roughly 459 times on this blog in the past).

Two things happened. I was down visiting the fam a few weeks back and my aunt Lisa had her laptop logged in to Facebook. Most of my family have accounts. She was showing my grandma and my cousins photos of my wedding, my mom and uncle's drive to get there, and old family photos from when they were kids. For the first five minutes or so, I sat in a recliner, uninterested. Then I pulled the stick out of my ass and joined in. We scrolled through all kinds of photos, most of which my mom, aunt, or uncle had posted humorous comments on. Lisa and my grandma told stories as the old photos stirred up the old memories. It was a lot of fun.

The second thing was this morning. I was laying in bed and I was just thinking how disappointed I was in myself in terms of the kind of friend, son, nephew, etc. that I am. All I could think about was all the people that are so important to me that I had not called in so long. I realized while I so often think about these people and what they're going through in their lives, I don't go the distance to let them know it hardly as much as I should. And it was overwhelming to think of where to begin. I get up in the morning, I do my exercise, I go to work, I blog (gulp), I come home, take out the trash, cook dinner, do the dishes, maybe watch an hour or so of TV, maybe write, then I go to bed. This is the typical day and there is not a lot of wiggle room in there to be all that I wish I could be to everyone that I care about. I'm not Mother Teresa, of course. I do still require some time to work on my own stuff.

It was around this time that I began to reconsider my anti-Facebook feelings. Ideologically, I still felt I was right about the whole concept. But I was also faced with the guilt that I was out of touch with my friends and family and overwhelmed by the task of making it right, especially when so many of them live so far away. Which was more important to me, to be true to my ideology or to be current and more involved with my loved ones (Joe, you are a "loved one," fyi)? My mom was on Facebook and wanted to see photos of her son for crying out loud! Was it maybe time to get off my high horse a little and sacrifice some pride? It might just be.

After all, I can shape my experience to be exactly as I want it. I don't have to turn into a junkie; I do have the will power to use it and not become enslaved by it. Therefore, if I do decide to join, I vow to go by a certain code of Facebook conduct:

I vow to never update my lame-ass "status message," much less do it every five minutes with the most asinine reports imaginable.

I vow to not take drunken photos every time I go out with thought of how they will make me look on Facebook.

I vow to not devote 56 hours to creating a profile so detailed and nuanced that it could serve as my clone. If you know me, you know me. Don't come to my profile to learn about my deepest fears and favorite pizza toppings.

I vow to not stalk or be stalked by every person I had a class with in high school. Long lost friends, sure. Lab partners from sophomore year, no.

I vow to never take one of those childish, brain-squishing quizzes that ask me "Who was the last person you texted with?" or "do people say you're pretty?"

I vow to not make important, life-altering announcements on Facebook. The big stuff is still for phone calls and face-to-face.

Above all, I vow to not revert into being a teenager. I vow to not let Facebook lure me into thinking that my life is my own personal reality show or that people look to me for entertainment.

I'm not saying I'm ready. I still need to sleep on it. But I think we both know where this is heading. By the way, I am fully aware that the arguments stated above in favor of Facebook are arguments very similar to those made to me by some of you enthusiasts in the past.

To quote Fletch Lives, "It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. I am not a big man."

9 comments:

Valerie Koop said...

I'll be your friend. You didn't say anything about your fear of being unpopular, but I know that's really what has been holding you back.

But don't worry. You have me. And maybe Joe.

j.h.k. said...

I haven't decided on Joe. I've seen the riff raff he hangs out with.

Conrad said...

The problem with friending so many people, is that it clogs up your page when they post things. All of a sudden it shows Joe taking 6 quizzes about what drink he would be or piece of fruit.

And the things you vow to not do, is pretty much what a lot of people also don't do (other than status updates). So don't think you're still "fighting the man" if you sign up by boycotting the quizzes and stuff. You're still just like everyone else dude.

Oh, by the way, we already made a proflie for you 6 months ago. HA!!

Conrad said...

And I'd also like to point out that I found out about your purchase of a car on your blog. If you had Facebook and updated your status, I wouldn't have had to wait 3 days to read about it here.

j.h.k. said...

Bitter, party of Conrad, your table is ready.

Wasn't talking about "fighting the man" or being different, just about shaping the experience.

"Conrad, if you wasn't my friend, I just don't think I could bear it."

Conrad said...

Not bitter, just pointing out the fact that I learned about a pretty big event in your life over the computer, one of the main reasons you don't like facebook.

"There (bump bump) now we can be friends again."

j.h.k. said...

No you didn't. I told you I was getting a new car on IM right after I talked to the mechanic. Did you find out via blogged when it actually happned? Okay. We gonna split hairs here?

AJ said...

Ok, well, I learn about most of your goings on via your blog (and not that this is a competition, but I've known you longer than Conrad has)....

I guess I understand your position (or previous position) but I wanna explain the other side of the coin--

In addition to reconnecting me with family members sprawled out all over the country, and actually giving me a chance to talk to cousins I've never met,it's reunited me with old friends, helped me keep up with my co-workers and the kids I volunteer with, and actually made me closer with a lot of people. It's sort of the antithesis of what a lot of people think of Facebook. By being totally involved in it, I feel in some ways I am closer with people I would not otherwise chat with nearly as often.

And frankly, when I am really down and no one is calling me to hang out, I turn to Facebook. That probably proves your point in a way... Inevitably, someone's posted something that will make me laugh or a photo I like. Or just to play games makes me happy.

I'm being defensive, I suppose. I'll shutup now.

Rebecca said...

I just added you as a friend. I know facebook is so corny and annoying but it really is a nice way to keep in touch. Or stalk people, whatever you like. Oh, and the best part of it, you can hide people you don't want to see updates from. The people that think it's important to tell you they're eating nachos or watching jon and kate plus 8 (i hate it!)
I have yet to hide Joe. ;)