Wednesday, March 26, 2008

For Everyman

I've been becoming disenchanted with Los Angeles recently. I've had plenty of bouts like this over the years, but it would always pass. Lately, it's been stickin'. Nobody enjoys traffic but it's more than an inconvenience to me. I can feel it eating away at my soul. It sucks the lifeforce right out of me like E.T. being stuck on earth too long. As I sit there wasting away for 10 hours a week, sucking fumes, listening to my brakes moan, feeling my car shudder in protest at the perpetual idle, I swear everyday that I've hit the breaking point. I think I might actually be right. Finally. The bitch of it is, it's not just the LA traffic that's so horrible, it's that it's pretty much unavoidable. We've been talking about moving down to the Westside which would be great. I would zip to and from work, door-to-door in 20 minutes tops. But what if my next job is back in the valley? I already moved to be closer to work once and it was great for a while, but then things happened and I found myself stuck in one of the worst commutes of my life again. What about softball? If I move to the Westside, I'm not going to wade through the 405 and the 101 at rush hour to get to a game in Burbank so I have to give that up. What about seeing my friends on a weeknight? Forget it. What about if there's a movie screening in Hollywood or a concert in Universal City? You cannot have anything resembling a life in this fucking city without dealing with traffic. And it's only getting worse.

Not only is the traffic getting worse, but it's costing even more. Four fuckin' dollars a gallon. And climbing. Of course, it won't stay up that high, but on the average it certainly won't go down from year to year either. I am sick and tired of watching more and more of my money go to gasoline, which, without getting too much into politics, isn't helping anyone else any more than it's not helping me. And yet, in this city, what choice does a person have?

I've gotten a little off track here, sorry. My point is that I've been thinking more and more about pulling up anchor and moving out of this town. Of course, this decision is not mine to make alone, but I am beginning to campaign and I think Nicole has to sympathize with my frustration. I've been thinking about a smaller city. Not a town, per se, and not quite "the country," but something smaller than this vast expanse. A walking city. A city with a mass transit system useful enough that we could sell off our cars and not have to deal with freeways at all. It has to be someplace quieter though. Someplace more affordable where a guy can afford to stash more than a couple bucks away and actually have realistic plans for the future. It's still gotta have culture though. I need theatres that show independant films, quirky bookstores and coffeehouses. I need a good music scene, someplace where I can be confident that most tours will make a stop. I need someplace with like-minded people. Even the diluted right wing nuts of California are beginning to give me ulcers. I'm thinking I need to live among my fellow "latte-sipping, Prius-driving, Birkenstock-wearing" hippy, liberal, environmentally-aware brothers. It's time I just give into it and go full circle, just like Rambo finally did this year. I'm talking about a place where the (microbrewed) beer flows like wine. In short, I'm talking about a little place called.....PORTLAND. Would I miss my family and friends? Of course. That's maybe the only thing keeping me here, I think. Well, that and the Angels and Trojans. But you know what, the Angels play at Seattle a few times a year (which is doable) and SC will be in either Eugene or Corvallis every year too. Up until last weekend, you know how many times I had seen my family since Christmas? Zero-point-zero-zero. Would it really be much different taking a short flight versus a long drive? Maybe not. And when it comes to friends, who doesn't love a friend that gives you an excuse to go on a weekender?

Moment of Realistic Practicality: no way this happens before the wedding, which is still over a year away, if it happens at all (the move, not the wedding). Denver could ultimately win out too. My point is just the feeling like it's time to go. Which brings me to the Song of the Day! I think it speaks for itself.


For Everyman
By Jackson Browne

Everybody I talk to is ready to leave
With the light of the morning
They've seen the end coming down long enough to believe
That they've heard their last warning
Standing alone
Each has his own ticket in his hand
And as the evening descends
I sit thinking 'bout Everyman

Seems like I've always been looking for some other place
To get it together
Where with a few of my friends I could give up the race
And maybe find something better
But all my fine dreams
Well though out schemes to gain the motherland
Have all eventually come down to waiting for Everyman

Waiting here for Everyman--
Make it on your own if you think you can
If you see somewhere to go I understand
Waiting here for Everyman--
Don't ask me if he'll show -- baby I don't know

Make it on your own if you think you can
Somewhere later on you'll have to take a stand
Then you're going to need a hand

Everybody's just waiting to hear from the one
Who can give them the answers
And lead them back to that place in the warmth of the sun
Where sweet childhood still dances
Who'll come along
And hold out that strong and gentle father's hand?
Long ago I heard someone say something 'bout Everyman

Waiting here for Everyman--
Make it on your own if you think you can
If you see somewhere to go I understand

I'm not trying to tell you that I've seen the plan
Turn and walk away if you think I am--But don't think too badly of one who's left holding sand
He's just another dreamer, dreaming 'bout Everyman

Click here for Youtube video

9 comments:

Adam and Myisha Partridge said...

Wow, this could be a big deal. I totally understand how you feel. When I lived in West LA, it would REGULARLY take me a half hour on side streets just to get to freakin' UCLA four miles away. When I commuted from there to Long Beach, THAT was a soul sucking experience.
At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to go where the work is. Are you going to be able to do what you want to do in Oregon? Cost of living is lower but so are wages.
On the hand, I must take issue with your political comment (YOU KNEW I WOULD!), especially if you are serious that politics in California is a reason you seek to flee it. The fact is you are already living among your latte-sipping, Prius-driving, Birkenstock-wearing hippies. There are not too many towns more liberal than LA. LA County (which is much more conservative than LA the city) still voted for Kerry over Bush (63% to 35%) and has elected Democrats into power for the last 50 years. Multnomah County (the county Portland is in) was 70/30 for Kerry. Not a huge difference. The state of Oregon itself is more conservative than California, though still slightly left leaning (ex: voted for Kerry over Bush 51 to 47 % in Oregon as opposed to Califonia which elected Kerry 54 to 44).
I also don't understand you voicing your displeasure for 'diluted right wing nuts' and then quoting Tom Buffenbarger, a big union president, is probably left of Stalin. Are you saying that vocal and annoying Clinton supporters are diluted right wingers? Dude, I'm glad that you're enraged but the Clinton machine but what they are doing to Obama (ad hominem attacks, issue confusion, media manipulation) is the EXACT SAME THING they have been doing to the Right for years! Relax and take a deep breath. Clinton is almost done and I'll help you throw the dirt on her (political) grave when it's over.
If you merely sick of right wing politics in Los Angeles of all places, moving to a politically comparable city won't do it. You may want to try Havana or Beijing if LA is too right of center for you.

j.h.k. said...

LOL! We already talked this out on the phone for the most part so I'm just gonna hit a few points here.

1)My link to Nudyburger was not intended as any kind of allusion about Clintonites or Right Wingers. It's just that I've grown enamored with the characterization he used and I wanted to show the source. Although you would have to agree that his words could just has easily have come from Rush Limbaugh, which takes me to my next point.

2)I'm glad we can agree on our disgust with the Clinton Political Machine, but you'll get no sympathy from me seeing as how the tactics she's used are strikingly similar to those used by Karl Rove (I think that's why they call them Karl Rove Tactics) to elect and re-elect(For fuck's sake!)a complete and utter bafoon. But let's focus on the unity. Clinton bad.

3)Political like-mindedness is probably the least weighted of my reasons to go. I was half-joking about all that. Okay, maybe only 25%. But since we're on it...Yeah, you would think California would be Left enough, wouldn't you? After February 5th though, I realized it's not just about being Left. Hell, I'm registered as an Independent. But the fact that California went so overwhelmingly in favor of Clinton and, by default, her tactics, really illustrated for me the different sectors of the Democratic Party. Don't forget that Bakersfield is in California too. Sorry, that was my smarmy moment of the day. But seriously, Portland, at least as far as I know, is the capital city of the educated, latte-sipping faction of the party. So that's what that's about.

4)Havana does sound kind of cool though.

AJ said...

the westside is no picnic - you still have to reckon with the 405 if you wanna go anywhere. But that's better than West Hollywood, not close to a signle freeway at all... This town's layout is insanity.

I refuse to move based on where I work. My personal policy. Just cause you never know where you're gonna end up and you may as well live where you want.

j.h.k. said...

I can go El Segundo to the Westside or vice versa inside of 20 mins because there's route options. That damn sepulveda pass is what's killing me. Of course, I could move to the Westside and then get a job back in the valley, but I gotta choose based on what I know and since I have to move anyway, I can't make a conscious choice to do this drive anymore. I'm this close to literally losing my mind. I don't get it, does no one like my song? Heh heh heh...Portland, here I come!

Adam and Myisha Partridge said...

Don't forget to get me that vintage Darius Miles jersey.

Kory said...

If I have to drive a freeway to get to work, it's too far. Door to Door 10 minutes, with lights. THATS HOW I ROLL!!

Rebecca said...

Portland is awesome... but so is NY. And we have a great public transit system. hee hee. I do know how you feel. LA is a nightmare.

Online Dating Girl said...

Portland is my back up plan as well! See you there. I'll be the one in flannel.

Helen's Capers said...

yeah loads of people drive priuses in LA, but the collective spirit and general frame of mind is much much different in the pacific northwest, so i hear what you say re: like minded people. although i've never been to p-town, i hear it is a lot like seattle, but even more low key :) and very accessible by public transit with extensive bike trails. we were only in LA for about a day when we were down for the tennis 2 weeks ago, but the superficiality of the industry was so blatantly apparent. i hope you do give it some serious consideration...and definitely p-town over denver (you don't want harsh winters!). lots more conservatives in those whereabouts! plus, like you said, you can come up to seattle for some baseball games!!!