Monday, March 24, 2008

All over the map

--Went to see a screening of "Field of Dreams" tonight at the Arclight. I'm normally not a stay-for-the-credits guy. I know they tried to ingrain the practice into us in film school, but it didn't really take. Sometimes I'll need a minute to absorb and gather, but more often than not, I am ready to stand. Conrad is an unequivocal credits guy so tonight we sat until the lights came on and I'm glad we did because on this 900th viewing of the movie, I discovered something new. After all the credits and thanks and Panavision logos, etc., there was a dedication that I had never stayed around long enough to catch. It said "For our parents." I think that's a dedication that was absolutely fulfilled. Among other things, it's a story about parents and kids, specifically one man's quest to make amends with his deceased father. To see the filmmakers make such a point resonated with me because a couple years ago I gave my dad a dvd copy of the movie along with a baseball mitt and ball, my way of saying, "Hey dad...wanna have a catch?"

--Caught the end of the Laker game when I got home. Man, I wish they would just go back to the old uniforms permanently. They are so damn sharp. They don't look outdated either so let's get Jerry (or Jim) Buss on the line and make this happen.

--Anybody wanna go see James Taylor all by their lonesome? Who needs ticket (singular)? I got one. Face plus miscellaneous ticketmasterape fees.

--Last night, I watched "Away From Her." Wow. I was deeply affected by this movie. I didn't just cry, I laid awake when I couldn't have been more tired. I've heard a lot of people describe the premise of the movie as depressing, and I sort of expected it to be. After actually seeing it though, I think it's a good example of a distinction between depressing and heart-wrenching. I haven't seen it in years, but I might say "Schindler's List" was depressing where as "Life if Beautiful" is heart-wrenching despite both movies being about the holocaust and neither (I don't think) having a happy ending. To me, "Away From Her" was achingly beautiful. It was like a more realistic, more focused, quieter "The Notebook." And I friggin' loved "The Notebook."

--On that note, consider this post to be an open invitation (and request) to anyone I would call a friend to please slap me right in the mouth if it ever seems like I'm taking my fucking blog a bit too seriously.

--Listening to Counting Crows' new album, fresh off the download (only downloaded because it was ripe with exclusive extras). At first listen, it's a welcome throwback to their early stuff. Which is not to say I didn't like "Hard Candy" because I did. I just felt like they were headed towards a more pop-oriented place with that album and they took it right up to the edge of going too far. I was worried the next album would go over the edge. I don't really know what that would sound like, but my point is just that this, to me, is a much less pop single-type album and they were due for something like that. I think it's kind of got the best elements of August and Everything After and Recovering the Satellites combined. But that's just one fan's opinion.

--I'd like to post something here a little more often, but sometimes I just don't have anything to say or nothing I haven't said to five people already that day. So at the risk of being completely cheesy (not the first time, won't be the last), I think I'll start doing a Song Of The Day thing just to give me something I can always talk about aside from "Today I ate cornflakes. Used too much milk."

The Song Of The Day for Tuesday, March 25th:

"Your Love" by The Outfield.

I just got this one tonight too. If you don't recognize the title or artist, just punch yourself in the balls and sing in your newfound pitch:

Josie's on a vacation far away
Come around and talk it over
So many things that I wanna say
You know I like my girls a little bit older
I just wanna use your love tonight
I don't wanna lose your love toniiiiiiiiight

Or I suppose you could just sample it on Youtube and save your balls.


So I'm making that the song of the day, for me at least. Kind of a weird, unnecessarily tension-filled day on Monday so I'm pulling out the big guns with this upbeat, infectious 80's number to kick start a better Tuesday. I think that's reason enough.

9 comments:

Adam and Myisha Partridge said...

"Away From Her" was barely on my radar but it sounds great.
It actually sounds exactly like what happened to Sandra Day O'Connor (the former Supreme Court justice), whose husband also suffers from Alzheimer's, and when he was moved to a care center, forgot his wife and fell in love with another patient. (apparently, and sadly, a very common phenomenon.)
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-11-12-court_N.htm

Conrad said...

So you decided to do a song of the day to give you something to talk about, and then you barely talk about it? You chose to show just those lyrics. I think there's some explaining to do.

j.h.k. said...

What do you want, an essay? I posted just enough lyrics so you would recognize it. It's not about the lyrics, not today anyway. Don't worry, I'll be waxing about the mysticism (bla bla bla) of some van morrison song soon enough. Enjoy today's lack of pretentiousness while it lasts!

Conrad said...

Ok, as long as it's not about the lyrics...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

John, it’s enlightening to see a man with a sensitive side (assuming you were not joking about your feelings about Notebook). I have wanted to see Away From Her, but thought it would be dreary and still being under thirty I wouldn’t really, “get it.” I’ll revisit it when I am ready to buy the twenty pack box of tissues from Costco and talk my husband into a sappy movie. My compromise this week was Dan In Real Life, some tears, overall feel good movie, loved it. About the song idea, inspiring, you don’t have to worry about being cliché, I’m sure there are people who read your blogs who haven’t heard you say it before….

Joe said...

*I'm like Conrad...I sit there until the theater staff forces me out of my seat. I never knew about that ending credit...nice touch.

*I friggin' love that you friggin' loved "The Notebook." I'm there with ya, buddy!

AJ said...

One of my father's all-time favorite songs. :)

I DONT WANNA LOOOSE YOUR LOVE TONIIIIGHT...

Rebecca said...

I've never seen the Notebook. Is there something wrong with me? I'm with you though, King, I don't like waiting for the credits. I only do it on special occasions, ie, if I know someone that worked on the film, there is a Q&A after, or if it's a Pixar movie w/ cute clips during the credits. Other than that I can't wait to leave the theater.