Thursday, March 30, 2006

Largo

Went to Largo last night. I just friggin' love that place. I think it might be one of my favorite places on earth. We went to see Glen Phillips for I think the 247th time and it was still as good as the first time. He said last night about Largo, "It's the only place where people will pay to watch you practice." I think that sums up the musical side of it pretty well. It's not just practice though, it's "jamming" too that makes it so uniquely intimate and special. So often there are other artists that aren't on the schedule but show up and play the entire show and it makes for a grand 'ol time. Nine out of every ten Glen shows, Sara and Sean Watkins (two thirds of Nickel Creek) show up to no special fanfare or presumption and just accompany Glen for his entire set. It's the surprises like that. Last night they were there, as well as a young guy named Brett Dennen whom I had heard at Borders and on Itunes. He was fantastic. To me, his voice sounds like a cross between Tracy Chapman and Bob Marley. Every time I'm there, I can't help but think how lucky I am to have this opportunity to see one of my favorite musicians perform literally 4 feet in front of me. I get chills every time. Not to mention how much I love their honey-baked chicken dish. The room is small, the lights are dim, and the staff is familiar. The owner is known simply as Flanagan, a scruffy congenial guy who casually introduces the acts with a thick Irish accent. Strikes me as a guy you might meet at a bar and become drinking buddies with. That would never happen to me because I am nervous around strangers, but to people that that does happen to, I can see it happening with Flanagan. The bartender is Ellen and she takes beautiful photos (website is down as I type this, but I assume it will be back). I don't know the name of the guy that works the door and takes the money, but I love the groundrules he sets with patrons as they wait in line before coming inside. No talking is allowed during the show. Not even during the "opening" act if there is one. Cell phones are firmly requested to be turned off. No vibrating, no texting, no e-mailing, no game-playing, no cell phones at all. Who knew there was such a thing as a totally cell-free zone in this country, let alone in Los Angeles! I hurt my back at the gym Tuesday morning and have been in varying degrees of agony ever since. I'm not being overly dramatic when I say that for 4 hours I sat in a small wooden chair at Largo and my back never felt better. Aside from its apparent healing powers, I think what I have come to love most about Largo is that I think things there that never occur to me otherwise. Not brilliant, interesting, groundbreaking thoughts but just unique thoughts. It's a creative cattle prod I tell ya, jolting to life awareness that is so often lulled to sleep by a mundane daily routine. I'm kind of a cheapskate with a lot of things, but when it comes to something like that, I could not put a price tag on it. Luckily, they do not take advantage of this to the degree that they could. After the show, we met Brett Dennen and chatted briefly while waiting to buy Glen's new EP. This was maybe the one interaction I have ever had with an artist whose music I like that didn't feel completely awkward and leave me feeling like a tool. But then we met Glen. Bought the CD, thanked him for another wonderful show, and then.....not much of anything. "Okay, see ya next time." What do you say in this situation? I can never think of anything. I am literally starstruck. Their music means so much to me and I have seen them so many times, but yet face-to-face we are total strangers. I have never been one of these cool people who can just casually talk to anyone, let alone someone who they admire so much. I wish I could. I always error on the side of conservative because if I dare venture into the realm of sincere admiration, I will undoubtedly come off as a stalker. I know it. Then again, I always feel like an idiot either way so maybe I have nothing to lose. Buying the CD was interesting...I can't think of too many times I have bought a CD directly from the artist himself, handing him my cash, him handing me his music. I liked that. It felt organic if you can use that word regarding a purchase. I started thinking about the whole Itunes thing and how I have been buying a song here or there rather than entire albums like I used to. I think I wanna go back to that. So often I'll buy an album for one or two songs and initially only listen to those one or two...but eventually the others kind of seep in and I usually end up loving those as well. I think I like that so, from now on, almost without exception, I think I will buy albums only. Okay, I think I am done for now. Work must unfortunately be done. Nicole got us Pearl Jam tickets this morning which I am very excited about. I like to "rock out" as much as the next guy (okay, probably less), but at heart, I will always be a Largo kind of guy. Cheers!

3 comments:

Adam and Myisha Partridge said...

It's like an inverse "Cheers"; where John knows everybody's name. If I say I know you, will they let me in?

Rebecca said...

I rarely use itunes. I love to buy cds. I like having the album cover, flipping through the jacket, reading all of lyrics, looking at all the pictures. I like listening to cds in my car over and over and over again so they become etched in my brain. Maybe that's why I can't remember any phone numbers but I can sing word for word any song on K-Big. it's awesome.

j.h.k. said...

Adam, no. I am not social enough for them to know me.

Becky Z, rock on, man! I am kind of the same way. There is some stuff that I don't mind buying on itunes, but for albums I'm really into, I always want to have the hard copy, the jacket, etc. Although, I really like the ipod in the car because my cd player is old and just quits after about 2 hours of continuous use.