Wednesday, February 01, 2006

"Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in."

Haven't had much to blog/complain about this week...UNTIL NOW!

I just took a stroll down to the studio Mail Center to purchase three stamps so that I might mail three bills. I walked in as I have done hundreds of times before and waited to get the attention of one the guys working behind the counter. Finally, I did.

"What do you need, man?"

"I just need to buy three stamps."

"Oh we don't sell stamps anymore...The Mill Store sells 'em."

So let me get this straight...The Mail Center no longer sells stamps. Sure, I mean, why would they, right? Why would a center that handles mail which requires postage sell postage stamps? Frankly, I think this is a true stroke of genius. Perhaps one day the federal government will get in sync with this forward thinking and stop selling stamps at their post offices. Get with the program! Stamps at a post office? Too predictable! Let's sell stamps at McDonald's and serve chicken McNuggets at the post office. Maybe put together some sort of a meal deal. "Upgrade to signature confirmation and get a free Filet-O-Fish sandwich."

What kind of a policy is this? Let's examine the steps one must now take in order to mail something at this studio now, shall we? First, one must walk down to the mail center if one wants to send anything larger than a standard envelope so as to get a price quote on the number of stamps one will need. Next, one must leave the mail center and walk across the lot a quarter mile to the Mill Store to buy the necessary alotment of stamps. Finally, one must retrace their steps and return to the Mail Center to actually drop the parcel off. This, of course, assumes the Mail Center has not gone through another major policy shift in the time you were gone and does still actually, um, mail things.

I don't know why I was so shocked by all of this seeing as how this is the same department that destroyed online shopping as we know it by holding in a punitive quarantine any packages received that they suspected were personal. They actually refused to deliver them. If you tried to order a 4 oz. paperback book and have it delivered here to the studio where you could sign for it, they would require that you walk down and get it yourself, which, I guess, isn't all that bad. It sure would be nice to be able to buy a fucking stamp once you get there though.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Somebody obviously didn't get the memo, or even bothered to read it as it was posted on the door of the delivery center. And I don't think the mill store or newspaper stand is a 1'4 mile...

Joe said...

Does the mail center sell anything or handle any money? If no, then I understand them not selling stamps and just sticking to handling the receiving and sending of mail. If they do handle money, then it's pretty dumb not to have the stamps.

That's just me, an outsider.

j.h.k. said...

Oh, so as long there is a memo announcing a totally asinine policy, it's okay that the policy is totally asinine? That's all you need is a little notice to make it okay? I suppose The Holocaust would have been no big deal had the Jews "seen the memo," right? You are a fuckin' Commi.

Obviously, the Mill Store is not exactly a 1/4 mile. I was guesstimating. We gonna split hairs here?

Joe, they do handle money. They sell greetings cards.

Anonymous said...

I was referring to the memo as in letting people know. I don't think the policy is asinine. Asinine to me would be a policy saying that the LOT no longer carries stamps. In this case they just happened move the location of where they are being sold.

Think about the poor chap who had to trek all the way from gate 2 to get stamps. That's across the whole lot, whereas now, it's in the middle.
Oh wait, think of somebody else?...now that's asinine

j.h.k. said...

Explain why it IS asinine for the LOT to not carry stamps, but not asinine for the FUCKING MAIL CENTER to not carry stamps. How about if the Commissary stops selling food? Is that okay with you, Mr Commi Corporate Kiss Ass? How about if the Credit Union stops making change? Where does it end? Maybe you're right, maybe I am being inconsiderate in my asking the MAIL CENTER to sell stamps. But what about the "poor chap" who works all the way over in Warner Village who now has to journey all the way over to The Mill to get em? Why should he suffer? I know your answer, "Because the company says so and the company can do no wrong!" How about this, Mr. Mother Teresa Warner Bros....How about if the location of the stamps changes routinely so as to give all employees equal levels of convenience?

Anonymous said...

At least the guy in the Warner Village doesn't have to walk all the way across the lot, like say someone in property used to have to do. Did you not read my line about it being in the middle, so everybody has about (ABOUT) the same distance. (Not that that was the reason they changed locations.)
Let it go.
And who are you to question my use of asinine. Someone who just throws it out carelessly on a whim over not being able to buy the stamps where he's used to. Someone who uses the word commie like I use the phrase "what's the story?" You can still buy your stupid stamps, you just have to walk an extra 219 feet in a different direction.
I'll see you on the court tomorrow and show you the true meaning of asinine (which will probably be my game)

j.h.k. said...

You wanna settle this on the court? You want a piece of me? YOU GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!