Thursday, November 10, 2005

"What's in the box?"

My girlfriend (let us establish her as "Nicole") told me she got someone a box of See's Candies for Christmas once, got them home and promptly opened them to steal a few. She eventually went back and replaced it as a gift with a new box, but still, it cracked me up. I can't say I would do it any differently today though...If I had a box of See's in my possession at this moment, there is nothing that could keep me from it. Such heavenly delights have an irresistible drawing power, much in the way that the Ring of Power seduced all that saw it.

Speaking of chocolate, I find myself in the middle of what I think is clearly the greatest pickle in the history of mankind. So there is this woman I work with..She's not technically my boss, but it is customary for those in my position to give those in her position a holiday gift. So long story short after days and days of fretting over what to get her, I settled on a nice box of chocolates (See's or Godiva) as her potential gift. Then today I find out from someone who works more closely with her that she is diabetic. Greeeeeeeat. It wouldn't actually be that bad since Godiva does have a sugar-free collection, BUT I also found out that she often eats and drinks foods that are definitely not sugar-less if not sugar-ful.

So now what the fuck am I supposed to do? Do I get her the sugar-free because that's the more considerate and thoughtful gift or will she think "Ewww, sugar-free chocolate. I'd rather eat the box." Do I get her the sugar-infested variety which, while spitting in the face of medical wisdom, is what she will really like or will she think to herself "Why the hell would someone give a diabetic person chocolate? Is this guy trying to knock me off or something?" Seriously, I have a 50/50 chance of getting screwed here and potentially sabotaging the professional relationship. This is how people end up getting faux-silver earrings for Christmas.

I think the way to go might be to get a box that mixes the sugar-free and the sugar-ful without any labels. I could get it personalized to read "Russian Roulet: Death By Chocolate."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get her something entirely different. Movie theater gift certificate

Or, one of my all-time favorite vendors of gift baskets in the WHOLE world: http://www.mrsbeasleys.com/

I know it's still sugar-ish, but it's probably not as bad as chocolate.

What do other people do about her gift?

j.h.k. said...

I'll look into this Mrs. Beasleys...

I was leaning towards a fruit/nut/sausage/cheese/chocolate thingy from Harry and David...

"What do other people do about her gift?"

Ask me this next time I see you.