Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Hit and Run

About two months ago, I got a random e-mail from a girl I had been friends with in high school but had not had any contact with since. Let's call her "Monica" (since that is her actual name). The e-mail basically was seeing if I was the same John Kumpart she had known and, if so, asking how the hell I was. It was one of those pleasant oh-my-God-it-has-been-years type of deals. So I write back that it is in fact me (I'm pretty sure I'm the only John Kumpart currently alive) and we agree there is far too much lost time to cover via e-mail. A couple days later I give her a call and we rehash our respective lives over the past eight years in order to "catch up." This conversation lasts probably an hour and a half and all is fine and well. Or so I thought...

Since we used to play tennis and both have trouble finding anyone to play with these days, we agree to get together and play a couple sets. We set a date for this Reunion Match. Something comes up and I have to postpone for two weeks, but Monica is agreeable to this. Or so it would seem...

Two days before our rescheduled appointment, I e-mail to confirm. No response. Okay, no big deal, people get busy and sometimes don't have time to check their e-mail. The morning of our scheduled match arrives and I expect my phone to ring since we never did set a specific time or place. No calls. No biggie, sometimes ya just space on these things and completely forget. I move on with my day and give it nary another thought.

Two weeks later, I still have heard nothing from Monica, not by e-mail, phone, nor carrier pigeon. So I e-mail once again simply saying "Hello?" No response. It's now two months (give or take) and still nothing.

Isn't that odd? I can understand if maybe we had gotten together and she had discovered that over the years I had developed into an extraordinary asshole or something, but we never even got that far. And everything seemed fine on the phone. Why go to the trouble to look someone up only to toss them back into the abyss of anonymity? I have a few theories...

1) Her reflection on me was somewhat fond and she looked me up with the intention of testing the potential for some sort of romantic excursion. I am not so arrogant to think this is the probable scenario. It would explain her dropping back off the face of the earth though since I was very forthcoming about the serious relationship I am in when we talked on the phone. Maybe she realized I was off the market and decided to shop elsewhere?

2) She was mortally wounded or killed and has been unable to communicate. I doubt this is the case because if she was killed, the cops would have surely accessed her phone and e-mail records and called me in for questioning. As of now, I have not been contacted by any law enforcement agencies.

3) She is petrified of facing me on a tennis court. Clearly the favorite.

That's all I got. Please, cast your vote or suggest your own theory. It's really not that big a deal. Nothing I'm losing sleep over or anything...just a vexing blank in the crossword puzzle of human behavior (I love metaphors).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If u ever wanna feel like a GOD on a tennis court, you oughta play me.

My tennis instructor suggested my mother find me a new hobby. I was that bad.

j.h.k. said...

practice makes perfect, brother.

j.h.k. said...

Nek?