Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Pizza Report

It shows definite potential.

Some things I learned after the maiden voyage:

--The dough rises like a son of a bitch. What appeared to be quite thin made for a very thick dough when it cookes. I was going for thin and crispy and I ended up with Chicago style, less the grease. I think it will be much better when I correct this.

--I think I need to remove it from the grill to add the toppings after the first side is cooked. The dough cooks so quickly, you really have no time to add the toppings with it still on the grill. The cheese wasn't melted yet and the crust was already starting to burn. I'll, of course, lower the heat too.

--I made margherita pizzas last night which, you know, call for the big slices of mozzarella. Given the conditions I described above, I think next time I will go for something with shredded cheese. It will melt faster.

--The flavor of the dough was okay. I think I will try the Trader Joe's Garlic Herb dough next time before venturing into making my own. Kick it up a notch!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--The lesson of the day is never wait any longer than you absolutely have to when buying plane tickets. I just got slammed paying to go to Portland what should have gotten me to London, all due to waiting 'til the nearly last minute. If I were taking the same trip next month, it would be about 60% cheaper. Shit, this is gonna hurt.

The good news is I am headed for P-Town. The wedding is the cake and The Oregon Brewfest on the waterfront is the very fortunately timed icing. Delicious. I am going to make this trip worth the choke-inducing cost of the travel to get there.

I figured how much it would cost me to drive there. Based on LA gas prices, my little Prius would deliver us there and back for a total of $125. Now if only I had 28 hours to spare behind the wheel.

Ah well.

No comments: