Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sweet Sounds of Spring

Right now in Tempe, Arizona, the Angels are 3 innings into their first game of the 2009 Spring Training season. If it were any other year, the fellas and I would be enjoying this game from the bleachers right now, with a dog in one hand, a cold, tall beer in the other, the warm dessert sun shining on us. It's not to be this year, unfortunately, but thanks to the wonders of technology, I can still listen to the game from my windowless position here in El Segundo. God, it's great to even hear a baseball game played again. It's great to hear the familiar voices of Angel broadcasters Terry Smith, Rory Marcus, and Jose Mota. As much as I love following the game and hearing the guys again, I think my favorite part is between innings, when the broadcast is simply the peaceful hum of the crowd, the echo of the PA system, and the pop of the ball in the mitt as the next pitcher warms up. Ha! Right now, I can hear Bobby Darin's "Dreamlover" and a vendor selling beer. If I close my eyes, I am there.

Welcome back, baseball.

1 comment:

Conrad said...

*tear