Thursday, February 19, 2009

Roscoe Party

So the big Academy Awards show is this weekend, but if the Best Song category is any indication, Oscar is far from perfect and often gets it horribly wrong. With one week to spare, I have seen all the films nominated for the major awards this year so I feel comfortable putting out my own Best of 2008 list. The only ones I missed that I think might have a legitimate shot to take home a statue were "Synechdoche, New York" and "Doubt." Sorry, guys. So without further adieu, I present to you The Roscoes.

Winners in Bold Italic.

Best Picture:

The Dark Knight
Vicky Christina Barcelona
Rachel Getting Married
Milk
Frost/Nixon
The Wrestler

Best Director:

Christopher Nolan - The Dark Knight
Jonathan Demme - Rachel Getting Married
Gus Van Sant - Milk
Ron Howard - Frost/Nixon
Darren Aronofsky - The Wrestler
Danny Boyle - Slumdog Millionaire

Best Actor:

Sean Penn - Milk
Leonardo DiCaprio - Revolutionary Road
Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler
Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon

Best Actress:

Kate Winslet - The Reader
Kate Winslet - Revolutionary Road
Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married
Meryl Streep* - Doubt

Best Song:

Bruce Springsteen - The Wrestler**

*I'll give her the nomination based on reputation alone

**The only one worth mentioning so why tarnish it with fellow nominees

3 comments:

Valerie Koop said...

I haven't seen a single movie up for a nomination. How sad am I???

AJ said...

No supporting actor or actress nods?

j.h.k. said...

I was thrilled that Penelope won, but I felt like I needed to see "Doubt" before I made a ruling on that one.

And there was no doubt Heath was going to win so I didn't even think about it. Although Michael Shannon was amazing.