Monday, October 02, 2006

October

So the Angels are not in the playoffs...but at least the Red Sox and White Sox aren't either. I'm ready to watch some October baseball, stress-free for a change. I think I am rooting for the Twins in the AL and the Mets in the NL although I really wouldn't mind if any of the teams not from Oakland won it all. Once the A's are out, which should be in about 4 games, it's all gravy. Go Twins!

Somewhere leaves are beginning to change colors, just not here. I am digging the fact that it actually rained a bit this morning. I had to hold myself back from busting out a sweater and cords. I expect to see the scarves start coming out in full force any day now. I'll have my pepto bismal ready for that day.

I could sure go for a nice cup of soup today...a beef vegetable...perhaps a bisque of some sort. A chicken breast and brown rice will have to do.

This is just about the time of year when I really hate living in LA (other than the proximity to friends, family, and USC football). When other parts of the country are experiencing actual seasons, ours are designated by temperatures in the frigid 70s and the arrival of the pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks. You really have to sort of create autumn and winter for yourself here, I think. Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on the scarf-wearers after all. I guess the good news is that it challenges the imagination somewhat, but even if you talk yourself into feeling Fall in LA, it's never really real and that's always kind of bittersweet. To me anyway. This reminds me of elementary school when the teachers would decorate the classroom for each month or season. October would mean brown and orange all around, with leaves and pumpkins mixed in with the crepe paper. That was fun. Who's up for arts and crafts?

6 comments:

Adam and Myisha Partridge said...

You need to stop drinking the haterade re Oakland. Why do you hate them so much that you'd rather see the Yankees (the YANKEES!) win over them? They're a small market team that play in a crappy town, in a crappy stadium, yet play so much bigger than the sum of their parts. They really are America's team and you better square yourself with that son.
As for Fall, I could not agree with you more. I love Fall. It's my favorte season. But I've never really experienced it. Thankfully NoCal gets a little colder and their are color changes in some parts, but it's certainly no NY.

j.h.k. said...

The Oakland A's are America's Team? You don't really believe that, right? That was a joke, right? How can they be America's team when they don't even draw in their own admittedly crappy town? Would America's team have to put tarps over the seats in its upper deck because they weren't selling enough tickets to make it worth it to have it open? I don't think so. And the few fans that they do have are just plain weird if not white trash. Square yourself with that fact, Mr. NorCal. If you want to root for a small market team, that's fine. Check out the Minnesota Twins; they actually make it past the first round every once in a while and have fans that give a damn. Let's be honest here...if any team is America's team in baseball, it is the Yankees. Not saying I like it, but it's true.

Adam and Myisha Partridge said...

Just for the record, I am not Mr. NorCal. SoCal is my home and I love and miss it. However, the only thing that NorCal has on SoCal is there aren't nearly as many people and there is more of a climate change (but not much), which is nice.
As far as A's fans, it's tough to base an opinion on them based on those that show up at McAffe Stadium. The stadium is so bad and in such a bad neighborhood that you have to be a little crazy to actually go. There are many reasonable, devoted A's fans who watch the games and follow the team as closely as any fan base. It's just their sense of self-preservation overules their love for their team and prevents them from going to the games.

j.h.k. said...

Uh huh, I'm sure that's it. The stadiums of the white sox, yankees, and mets are all in bad neighborhoods and they seem to draw just fine, but those are probably anomalies. I am sure there are millions of really cool, non-white trash A's fans out there somewhere. Maybe someday I'll see one.

Adam and Myisha Partridge said...

Are you calling me white trash? If I had a rubber hose, I'd beat you with it.

j.h.k. said...

Foo, I sock you in yo neck.