Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Office Catwalk

Why can a man not wear a navy blazer without being compared to a captain, a sailor, or a prep school student?

Sure, I get that those three do wear navy blazers, but they're hardly the only ones. It's as standard an article as khakis, jeans, or t-shirts. It's a classic and yet it appears to be maligned or at least given undue special attention.

Our office is casual dress. You can't really wear shorts but you can wear t-shirts and flip flops. Still, is it so wrong to show a little style? I walked in this morning and within 3 minutes, I got comments from 3 people, the first going into a rant about how I looked like I was going sailing or to prep school. I gave her my most sarcastic "thank you" and yet she could not help herself as she continued to lay it on and promised to be back later for more. Then my boss comes out and asks me if I have a business meeting or an interview, then notices my un-ironed shirt and says I look like I'm going to a fashion show. The real topper came next when another coworker came by, took one look at me, and said I looked very "fluffy." Dear Lord, you would think I was wearing a fucking boa. Every morning, if it's not my outfit, it's my hair (OH MY GOD, IT'S GETTING LONG!!! HE LOOKS DIFFERENT IN SOME WAY!!! LET'S GET HIM!!!). Everybody's gotta weigh in.

Cotton, CASUAL navy blazer, khakis, white CASUAL, wrinkled button-down, grey t-shirt, brown slip-on shoes. What the crap, folks? This is still an office, isn't it?

9 comments:

Valerie Koop said...

If you weren't married to my sister in law ...


I would wonder about you.

Conrad said...

How about you leave the khaki's at home next time. That IS a specific look. You didn't give any examples of people who do wear that look other then those previously mentioned. It's all over here in the south, except with deck shoes.

But I feel you. Every, and I mean every, Friday Tie-day, people ask if I have a job interview. Or you tuck your shirt in, "Got a hot date?"

j.h.k. said...

You think it would have been any different if I had been wearing jeans? I don't.

How is it specific? That's a very slippery slope. If only captains and prep students can wear khakis and a blazer, then I guess only lumberjacks and grunge guitarists can wear flannel. I guess only baseball players can wear caps. Only Bruce Springsteen can wear a t-shirt and jeans.

Where does it end?!?!

Helen's Capers said...

time to post a photo of your ensemble, kumpart!

j.h.k. said...

Ah hell, too late.

I'm thinking of wearing sweatpants and a soup-stained t-shirt just to see what they come up with.

Conrad said...

If you wore jeans, you still would have gotten the dressed-up comments, but not the sailor or prep school comments. I guarantee it.

And your Bruce and lumberjack examples were extremely dramatic, maybe Val is right...

j.h.k. said...

So your kid comes home from school saying he got made fun of and your reaction is to figure out how to conform him to the other kids' standards.

How about I wear what I feel like wearing and my coworkers deal with it?

My Bruce and lumberjack examples were intentionally extreme. I was using hyperbole to prove my point. And I was joking. Although I have gotten lumberjack comments for wearing a flannel shirt, not with suspenders and mountain boots, but for wearing it open over a t-shirt with sneakers.

j.h.k. said...

YES! My boss is wearing a black button-down! As soon as he comes over here, I am telling him he looks like Johnny Cash today! Woo hoo! Revenge is mine!

William Brasky said...

You can come on up to Portland and deal with tie-day friday every day of the week. You can wear a three piece suit and not be looked at twice. It's not for me, but I think you'd like it