Friday, March 19, 2010

I "Love" It!


I played tennis last night. I hadn't played in over a year and actually longer than that since I was sickly hungover the last time I played. My neighbor, Juan, and I dusted off the old rackets and hit the hard court to see how much of our game we could still muster, hoping for a decent rally and no injuries. Sadly, this scenario describes the last five times I have played tennis over the last seven or so years. I only get as far as the first game back before the next 9-month layoff.

It's always a mixed bag. I'm excited to be playing again, but frustrated that I can't play anywhere near the level I feel I should. The footwork and positioning are gone. Every third shot is off balance and probably pretty funny to look at from the sidelines. Worst of all, even when I find myself in position to win a point, my hand-eye coordination fails me and I can't even execute a simple volley. Facing a steady diet of weak 2nd serves placed on a tee, I swipe them long time after time, not because I'm trying to kill them, but because I have no consistent strroke. And they're like knuckleballs, they just sit there. But this time there is hope. Juan and I made a deal to play regularly, twice a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I am returning to tennis, my friends!

I am really happy about this. I hope it works out. It gets me back to my roots, it's fun, and it gives me a great workout. I run about 3-4 days a week and do my resistance band training thing, but after an hour and a half of tennis last night, I could barely walk around I was so sore and exhausted. This morning, Nicole got up and went to the gym early and, for the first time, I didn't wake up, didn't hear a thing. It's different muscle groups, I'm tellin' ya.

I figure I can do my normal workout of running and band-age on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and sleep in and play tennis on Tuesday/Thursday. I like it and I think I can stick to it. Plus, this gives me an excuse to buy athletic gear, a personal joy for me and most any man.


3 comments:

Conrad said...

How are you feeling the couple of days after champ? I've spent the weekend going back to my roots with tryouts for an Atlanta baseball team and let me tell you, I can barely walk!

j.h.k. said...

Yep. Same here. I was doing better by Saturday, but, yeah, walking was painful. And getting up out of a chair? Fughettaboutit.

William Brasky said...

I hope this isn't with the thought of taking another run at me.

Conrad! What's the deal with baseball tryouts? You need to get a blog of your own!