Tuesday, February 09, 2010

My Top 10 (Non-Jazz) Rainy Day Albums

Because on a rainy day, nothing is better than jazz and it's not fair to compare...Also, greatest hits albums are not eligible.



10. Patty Griffin - 1000 Kisses


9. M. Ward - Hold Time (This album, I believe, will eventually be ranked higher, but I need to listen to it about 50 more times)


8. Wilco - Sky Blue Sky


7. James Taylor - JT


6. Mat Kearney - City of Black & White


5. Justin Townes Earle - The Good Life


4. Jackson Browne - Late For The Sky


3. Ben Folds Five - Whatever and Ever Amen


2. Nick Drake - Pink Moon


1. Counting Crows - August and Everything After


Please, friends, tell me yours.

8 comments:

AJ said...

10. Michael Buble - Crazy Love
9. Lady Antebellum - Need You Now
8. Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
7. Brad Paisley - Mud on the Tires
6. Jason Mraz - Waiting for my Rocket to Come
5. Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace
4. Garth Brooks - Fresh Horses
3. Harry Connick Jr. - Songs I Heard
2. Counting Crows - Hard Candy
1. Counting Crows - August and Everything After

Valerie Koop said...

1. John Mayer
2. John Mayer
3. John Mayer

P.S. I just got the BEST word verification: martini. It could only be outdone had it been: mojito.

j.h.k. said...

Hahahaha....Ok, at least rank the John Mayer albums in terms of Rainy Day-edness.

Valerie Koop said...

I can't. Last night I read his interview in Playboy magazine.
Not sure how I am feeling about his music. I have tried NOT to feed into the tabloid monster (that he created) and just appreciate him for his music, but after reading the interview, I just feel ripped off.

Joe said...

Completely agree with the Nick Drake and Mat Kearney submissions.

Of those already not mentioned, here's my top five (and since it's my list, it's my rules):

5. For Emma, Forever Ago (Bon Iver)
4. Love is Hell (Ryan Adams)
3. Harvest (Neil Young)
2. Dummy (Portishead)
1. Magnolia soundtrack (Various artists, but mostly for Aimee Mann's stuff)

j.h.k. said...

Very well. No problem with numbers 1-4, but I just can't take Bon Iver seriously. I think that album depends too much on the story of how it was recorded.

Joe said...

Well for me, I heard the music before I heard the story behind it. So there!! :)

I thought of this too: Is it just me or can "August and Everything After," be perfect for a fall afternoon get-together (i.e. bbq at sunset)? I think it can, and I think that shows just how great of an album it is!

j.h.k. said...

Also a great album for driving. And give me time on Bon. Maybe if I listed to it on a rainy day. I've been wrong before.