Friday, September 19, 2008

Earlier this week, one of my neighbors committed suicide.

I find it interesting how the first question that usually comes to mind is "How did he do it?" Thankfully, I don't have all the details. All I know is that it involved a sealed room, a BBQ, and that he had been there long enough for the gruesomeness of the scene to overwhelm the responding fire fighters.

I didn't know this man, but it saddens me to think that he was in such utter despair. He lived in the building, but the two buildings have their backs to each other so it's not really fair to say that he lived next door. The buildings on this street are designed in clusters of two with a courtyard area in between. I wonder how this has affected the neighbors in his cluster.

I heard about the ordeal from my upstairs neighbor. I know I have commented before on the unique community of my two-building cluster, but I was reminded again by it when I found out. In most other apartments in LA, I'll bet I never would have had such a conversation about something that occurred outside my four walls. This poor soul would have grossly taken his own life less than one hundred feet from where I sleep and I never would have known the difference. He must have thought so or at least that no one would care. It makes me think about two levels of loneliness, physical and emotional, specifically, how physical affects emotional. Does a person stranded alone in a desert hurt more than a person living in a big city surrounded by millions of people but without any meaningful connections of his own? My personal feeling is that it hurts more, or in a sharper, more damaging way to feel alone in the company of others. If such a state had a capitol, it would have to be Los Angeles.

Yet, if you're open to it, there always seems to be a surprising, hopeful yin to the solemn yang, a friendly face whose looks at you are absorbed rather than caromed off to a safer landing. Last night as I was getting the mail, I saw a flier posted above the boxes. It was an invitation to a community cookout on Sunday. It said, "It's time for another community gathering! Bring something to drink and a cold dish if you like. Live music starts at six. Free, free, free..." I checked the name and address, some guy I've never met from a building across the narrow but busy street. Wow, I thought. I did not see that one coming. There is hope for us yet after all. I only wonder if my unnamed neighbor had held on a little longer. I wonder if I could have met him at this Sunday community barbecue. What are the chances we might have toasted a couple of beers together? Would we have liked each other?

5 comments:

Conrad said...

Sad, but good post King.

Anonymous said...

The tenant renting my house in Phoenix died this week as well. No details, she died in the hospital and we barely knew her. Our management company has privacy policies.
It is amazing how no matter how well or how little you knew someone you can't help but feel the sadness. Also in like a "Sliding Doors," kinda way wonder how things could have been different if..?
Totally feeling you..good blog, makes you think.

Nicholas said...

It is a hard subject to wrap your head around but we can't assume the only reason a person would kill themself is out of loneliness. I think you're in the right mindset though and can look at his actions as motivation to expand your relationships around you. I know I feel like haveing a block party now to say hello to the people on my street. We bought our house two years ago and have only meet like 5 people. I don't think I've seen the girl who lives right next door to me in 3 or 4 months!

j.h.k. said...

Of course not. I'm sure it wasn't any one single thing that caused it, other than to say it was ultimately despair.

Nicholas said...

Lets hope he did not have a life insurance policy with AIG! HA-HA
what, was that too soon?
Also, If I was planning to kill myself, a BBQ would not be my first thought. I'm not rulling out foul play.