Sunday, June 15, 2008

Still Here

Remember me? I used to write stuff on here way back when.

The packing, unpacking, painting, and moving is finally over with. Shelves hath been erected. The "house" has been sufficiently warmed. This is the first time I have had to really sit down and type something in probably a month. Bear with me.

--It's odd, I have met and spoken with more of my neighbors in the two weeks I've been at this new building than all of my other apartments combined. It's nice. In the laundry room, I noticed there is a shelf where everyone leaves their detergent, trusting that it will still be there the next time they do laundry. It's a simple thing, but I was really kind of touched by it. Nicole once had her detergent stolen at her old place, just within the thirty-minute wash cycle it was left unguarded.

--Do you believe that certain types of alcohol bring out specific parts of ourselves that other varieties may not? Nicole has a theory that whiskey makes men into assholes. I don't think I agree, but it's possible, I guess. For me, the game of poker does that best.

--I had a dream the other night in which I had a helluva nice conversation with Robert Redford. Nice guy. I was walking around the neighborhood I lived in as a kid and I saw this schizophrenic woman walking around the tennis courts (installed by my subconscious) asking the players if they liked her haircut. Anyway, I turned to go back another way and--boom--there was good ol' Sundance himself. We talked about where I went to school, what I wanted to do, my hobbies, etc. I feel bad, I did most of the talking. I will have to remedy that next time I run into him.

--Nothing suits a hangover like an emotional morning of television. First, it was the Tim Russert tribute on "Meet the Press." So sad. When I began to take an interest in politics, Tim Russert as host of the show had a lot to do with it. He always seemed to me to be a fair-minded, genuine guy who clearly loved his job. After "Meet the Press," it was the 2-hour season finale of "House." They definitely saved the best for last. I've thought that this season was by far the weakest yet, but this last episode was exceptional.

Anyway, that's all I got right now. Ya don't wanna rush back into these things.

2 comments:

Valerie Koop said...

Welcome back!

Nice to hear you guys are settling in. Your laundry comment solidifies it ... you're officially domesticated. ;)

And, I agree with Nik on her whiskey theory.

Adam and Myisha Partridge said...

Robert Redford has gone the way of the Mark Hamil leather face-iness that kind of makes me feel icky.
You are spot on about the House finale; it was the best television I've seen in a long time.