Monday, June 30, 2008

"Mooooon riveeeer"


Four words I was not expecting to hear when I woke up this morning:

1) Lift

2) Your

3) Scrotum.

Lift

Your

4) Penis.

Yeah.....So I had an appointment with the dermatologist and I thought he would just be looking at the freckles I was concerned about. I wasn't prepared for such a thorough inspection. Strangely enough, this was much easier than peeing at a urinal with no divider. Good thing I showered. "Thank you, Doc. Ever serve time?"

We've been doing a big music exchange at work recently. I think I've imported 2-3 gigs worth of new music, so much that it was a little overwhelming. It wasn't until this last batch though that I really found stuff that not only appreciated but really loved, stuff that was addictive, infectious.

The Format - I guess I'd call it indie pop/rock. Kind of like a less self-conscious, less "cool guy" Vampire Weekend...and I don't really like Vampire Weekend. Also could describe them as a more conventional, more singalong-friendly version of The Shins. Which is fine by me because as much as I like The Shins, that's my main complaint is that I have no fucking clue what any of their songs are about. I danced a jig to this music.

Nick Drake - No description or link necessary, I'm sure. I'm very late to the party, but at least I showed up.

Mason Jennings - I had heard of this guy, but hadn't heard him because I got him confused with Shooter Jennings whom I had heard and didn't care for. Not the same guy, as it turns out. Anyway, I would call Mason Jennings fun folk rock with more than your average amount of percussion. It's singer-songwriter stuff but with a foot-tapping twist away from the usual soul-baring sad songs.

I know it's already July, but I am declaring this (not only this) the music of the summer.

Speaking of music....you know how I know I'm gay (not really)? I listen to Coldplay. Yep. After years of being utterly unaffected by the band despite liking so many of their similar-sounding colleagues (Keane, Athlete, Travis), Viva La Vida finally flipped the switch for me. I'm not saying I'm a fan now or that I retroactively all of a sudden love their previous stuff, but, what can I say, I like this new album.

Wanna guess how much it cost me to fill up my car yesterday? Would you believe $75? Seven-five. I've been fretting over the cost of a bike but at this rate it will pay for itself in a few short tanks. Finding a local bike shop is on my list of things to do. I was also reading about how the bike path I will take runs right behind the Mar Vista Gardens housing projects and how a couple riders were accosted and seriously injured a couple years ago. I'd like to avoid that so, hopefully, I can steer clear of any hooligans by entering the path further southwest. I did read though that UCLA bought these projects for student housing so let's get some wimpy-ass Bruins in there in place of the gang that's there now, asap.

Sartorial situation...Is it wrong to wear red, white, and blue on the 4th of July? Would I be the subject of great snickering and snide whispers? I'm not talking about wearing some godawful country-western American flag-patterned shirt, just the colors. We wear green on St. Patty's Day, don't we?

General statment: no one tells me anything anymore. I really don't get it.








5 comments:

Conrad said...

So those weren't really freckles after all. Which STD is it? I'm just saying, as greasy as it was, I shook your hand a week ago, I think I have a right to know.

Adam and Myisha Partridge said...

Is it wrong to wear red white and blue on the 4th of July? What kind of question is that, you communist?

Online Dating Girl said...

mason is one of my all time favorites. He was just here in concert in May, he killed it

j.h.k. said...

I wish I would have known!

AJ said...

I will tell you whatever you like. Let's grab a bite or coffee soon. :)