Tuesday, April 25, 2006

"Actually a nice little Saturday..."

There is obviously a lot to be said for getting out and doing things, being active, experiencing the culture, taking advantage of the many recreational options, etc. But sometimes doing absolutely nothing has equal rewards. Last weekend was a weekend to do nothing. Watched a couple movies, 13 episodes of season 2 of "24," some sports, quick trip to the mall, but mostly nothing. It was wonderful. And inexpensive which is nice.

Speaking of "24," aka the best show on television, Kim Bauer is hot, but she has to be the biggest bad luck charm in the history of womankind. Whenever she's around, people die. It's that simple. No thank you.

I am very unhappy with this new scent of deodorant. It smells like cheap, cheesy cologne. Aqua Velva armpits. Not ideal.

I opened a bottle of wine I got at the famed BevMo sale the other night. It was terrible, but I drank it anyway. I think there has been maybe one bottle that was ever so bad as to not be drinkable.

They made Schindler's List, Life is Beautiful about the holocaust. They made Tora, Tora, Tora and Pearl Harbor about Pearl Harbor. So why is United 93 so grotesquely offensive to me? Is it just too soon? Is it because September 11th was the only one of the mentioned disasters that I lived through? Am I alone in my sick feeling about this movie?

9 comments:

Joe said...

I think it's both...(way) too soon and it's something we experienced. I am right with you, man.

Adam and Myisha Partridge said...

I'm empathetic with those who feel it's too soon-I know a family of a 9-11 victim who was on one of the tower planes-I don't feel that way at all personally. As I recall John, you didn't have a problem with Farenheit 9-11, which used the images and happenings of 9-11 in a very one sided political way. This movie is not a dredge of what went wrong that day, but what went right; it's a great story that I think needs to be told.

Online Dating Girl said...

The thought of United 93 makes me sick, seriously. And while yes, Farenheit 9-11 did use images, it's sole focus wasn't on the tragedy. This movie is using the stories of victims to make money. It's far, far too soon. As someone who was in New York that day, and watched everything from just a few blocks away, I have incredibly strong opinions about it. I refuse to see this movie and feel it shouldn't have been made, at least not at this juncture.

j.h.k. said...

Did Fahrenheit actually show the twin towers? I didn't think it did. Did you actually see it Adam?

I think I agree with OnlineDating(I know her real name). It's not that it's too soon to see the images from 9/11, it's just too soon to use them as a dramatic springboard for a still fictional blockbuster movie. I have seen a few documentaries about 9/11 that did not offend me. I think it's that United 93 is a fictional, moneymaker is what bothers me. I agree, it should be made but not now.

Any thoughts on the use of the WTC at the end of "Munich?"

Joe said...

Any thoughts on the use of the WTC at the end of "Munich?"

I thought it was one of the most powerful endings to any movie I've ever seen (visually speaking.)

Adam and Myisha Partridge said...

I did end up seeing F9-11 and they did show the planes crashing into the building. And I wouldn't call this movie a "fictional" movie, I think it's closer to a documentary (think a more historically accurate 13 days-a movie that attempted to be absolutely historically accurate, though overplaying Kevin Costner's role) The articles I've read about the movie said the producers attempted to be as historically accurate as possible. They even got the permission from all the family members of the victims on the plane. Assuming it is historically accurate , there is permission from the family members and you didn't have a problem with other 9-11 documentaries, what's the problem? That they are making money? Michael Moore made a boat load of cash too. What if the producers donated all the proceeds of the movie to charity, then would you be okay with the movie?

j.h.k. said...

Being as historically accurate as possible is still a far cry from being a documentary. If the proceeds were going to some sort of 9/11 related charity, I would feel a lot better about it, yeah.

I give you props for seeing Fahrenheit by the way.

P.S. Aren't you supposed to be in the basement? Get down there, boy!

Adam and Myisha Partridge said...

A brother does need to come up for air from time to time...

Joe said...

FYI, on Larry King tonight were a few actors in the movie and some family members of the portrayed deceased victims aboard Flight 93. The families involved are 100% behind the film and feel it's a story that needs to not only be told now, but told correctly. Can't really argue with that, but it still doesn't change that I won't see this film.

Also, the film will donate 10% of the opening week profits to the 9-11 Memorial Fund.