Thursday, May 05, 2011

The Sounds of Summer, Part Deux



Yes, I'm talking about one of the greatest voices in the history of popular music, Mr. Sam Cooke. Is it fair to dub a collection of music approximately 50 years old as The Album of the Summer? Sure, why not. I never said it had to be something new.


I picked up "Sam Cooke: Portrait of a Legend" while at Best Buy to replace my alarm clock and I have since been convinced that that alarm going bad was an alarm going off! It was telling me that the time for Sam Cooke had come! There's thirty songs in this collection with such hits as "Cupid," "(What A) Wonderful World," and "Another Saturday Night,"and others you've never heard before that are every bit as beautiful. You can't not sing along to this music. This is spirit-lifting, soul-jump-starting stuff. It's ice cream cone from Thrifty's music. It's making out at the drive-in music*. This is bike-riding music. It's Sam Freakin' Cooke!


Do yourself a favor and go buy this album, post haste. If you are actually thinking about it, hell, I'll send you a copy. Just get these songs into your ears.



*Can I tell you how proud I am to be a part of the last generation to make out at the drive-in? I weep for these kids that know nothing but multiplex.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Excellent post! Jordan has been really into Sam Cooke lately too, learning lots of his songs on the geee-tar.

Conrad said...

Another Saturday Night was basically my theme song when I got to Atlanta.

Megan said...

in entertainment weekly, Matthew gray gubler (whoever that is-on a show called "criminal minds". idk) but he recommends Sam Cooke. not gonna lie I want the cd now bc of your review...not his.

I know you like discovering new music but do you like texas country? it's completely different than country radio. you can go from bluegrass to honky Tonk to just rock. perhaps a cd trade?!

-megan (long timer reader first time responder)