Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Little Things

Do they mean a lot? Of course they do, sometimes. Then there are other times where they mean absolutely nothing, except to bored minds such as mine.

--Our parking lot at work is wide open. There a couple of reserved spots, but those are not relevant to this little nugget. Still, despite there being virtually no reserved or assigned spots, people tend to park in the same place everyday. That's to be expected, I think. However, one of my coworkers sometimes carpools with another woman whom apparently lives near her. I noticed this morning though that when she drives with her carpool buddy, she parks where the buddy normally parks. When she drives solo, she reverts to her normal spot. Neither spot offers any obvious advantage of shade or proximity to the door. I brought it up to her and she had no explanation or reasoning for this behavior. How does this extend or translate into other areas of her life, I wonder?

--While visiting the kitchen-ish area to wash my morning mug, I noticed the receptionist washing an orange. It occurred to me that I had never heard of a person washing an orange before. Obviously, the orange has a thick protective peel so I've considered there to be a need for washing. Am I alone on this? Has everyone else been washing their oranges outside the net of my awareness?

5 comments:

Conrad said...

When I played soccer, we would have orange slices in between halves, and as kids, we would put the whole thing in our mouth, so I hope someone washed it. Also, I've always been under the assumption that you should wash everything when it comes to fruit and vegetables(although as I type this, I'm eating a banana that I did not wash)

j.h.k. said...

So you would eat the peel as a kid? How do you do that? If you're not eating the peel, why wash it? If the pesticides or whatever are thought to penetrate the peel, then what good is washing it going to do anyway?

Conrad said...

Not eat it, but make orange smiles, like the Godfather. Also I think it's because when you peel it you then touch the inside. So you clean the outside so you don't get any of the germs that are on the outside onto the inside parts.

Helen's Capers said...

i wouldn't wash an orange unless i was slicing into it. if peeling, no need to wash. people are weird.

j.h.k. said...

She did slice into it. So are we saying now that the germs are going to jump onto the knife on the sharp part of the blade, stay on the blade as it slices through the mantle of the peel and then jump off once it reaches the core/flesh? Come on, those are magic germs.