Tuesday, October 12, 2010

What's the deal with....

--People who refer to an SUV as a truck? It's such a clear and easy distinction; a truck has a flatbed. Boom. End of story. A Nissan Pathfinder is not a truck, it is a sport utility vehicle. The SUV category was created because such vehicles were neither cars nor trucks. If you were out sick when the SUV category was created and of the two choices, car and truck, you choose truck, I get that. But if you are aware of the SUV, how could you get it wrong? Is it truck envy? Do you wish you had a truck? You can buy a truck, you know. They are even cheaper than SUVs, generally. Maybe I will start calling my Prius a truck, just to test this, to see if anyone will correct me. After all, with that big hatchback and with those rear seats folded down, there is a tremendous amount of space.**

--The slanted shoe rack? Why would you give it a slant? It makes no damn sense at all. You've created a valuable tool, a way to more effectively store a bulky odd-shaped item like shoes and yet you've given the shoes an advantage, encouraging them to slide right back onto the floor. Make it flat and everybody stays put. It drives me batty.

--The one horizontal button hole at the bottom of a man's shirt? Why is it different than its vertical brothers above it? How long has this been going on? Who started it? My only guess is that it has something to do with tucking the shirt in, but that makes so sense either. A horizontal button is theoretically easier to come undone with the side-to-side shifting created by pants. Besides that, what sort of body type calls for a shirt to be tucked in only as far as the bottom button? Is this the Beer Belly Fit?

--Bacon-wrapped hot dogs? They smell fantastic but taste average at best. It's a sensory sham, I tell you!

Sorry, I know that is a pretty weak entry, but let's move on.



**I know some of you are guilty of this, but please take no offense. I'm just really bored and being a smartass. Pay me no mind.

9 comments:

Helen's Capers said...

i can't stand that either! and i think they think they are really cool that they do it. my only guess is that it's b/c suv's are built on the same chassis as their truck counterpart, but stiiiill...c'mon!

Conrad said...

I think people use the word truck because "Hey, we can take my SUV.." comes across as a little snobby(in my mind.) I also believe they are a little embarrassed on a sub-conscious level because the "word" SUV is so closely related to global warming(The Doug doesn't read this does he?), polluting, and what have you.

j.h.k. said...

I gotta disagree on both counts.

1)What could be snobby about "SUV?"** It's not BMW is the only company that makes one. Hyndair, Nissan, Honda, etc. all make SUVs. It's no more snobby than "station wagon." What if people called those trucks by the way?

2)I would say the word "Hummer" could be tied to negative connotations with global warming, but not "SUV" because there are so many hybrid SUVs now.

**This is coming from a guy who has a hard time saying "LA" without feeling like a douchbag so take it with a grain of salt.

Conrad said...

Agree to disagree on snobby.

But I gotta say, when the gas guzzler talk came out(which I link with the Global Warming argument) SUV was the word mainly used. SUV's were Tahoes, Expeditions, and Suburbans back in the day. So yes, I'll agree there's so many hybrid/crossovers now there's no way any of them can be confused with a Hummer or gas guzzler, but I think the word SUV still brings up that image. I don't know what automobile first pops in your head when you hear SUV, but when I hear it, I see the words "Gas Guzzler" not my Mom's Nissan Xtera.

But that's just me, on a subconcious level.

On another note, when I think of trucks, I think of something that gets beat up, dirty, inside and out. Most of these soccer-mom SUVs look like the back of a pick-up bed on the inside.

j.h.k. said...

Now that was a really nice try. I like that one.

But the ruling is....NEIN! The cleanliness of your vehicle does NOT define what class/type of vehicle it is. Moms who drive dirty Xterras are not driving trucks any more than moms who drive dirty Priuses are. I would no sooner call my car a truck based on its being dirty than I would call it a Rolls Royce because based on the Grey Poupon in the glove compartment.

j.h.k. said...

And another thing, if you have a subconscious guilt about driving an SUV, how does driving a truck relieve that guilt? Trucks are not exactly low emissions vehicles, in general. By that logic, a guilty SUV driver would call it a car, not a truck.

Joe said...

I think of "truck" being synonymous with "large vehicle", ie dump truck, fire truck, FedEx truck, etc. None have flat-beds, but because they are large (and using hauling or carrying something), they are "trucks".

j.h.k. said...

Excellent point, but those are commercial vehicles, which is another ballgame. Each of those examples needs a qualifier for it to be clear what they are. I don't think this clears a Pathfinder to be called a truck. Maybe it would qualify a Pathfinder to be called a "family sport cabin truck" and, thus, "truck" for short, but only in the classroom, not in the real world.

Nicholas said...

I don't call my vehicle a truck; I prefer to call it a Brodozer or "The Brodozer" if I want to be formal.