Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Step 1: Open Mouth, Insert Foot

Wow, did I ever have a bad interview yesterday.

I am just not good at interviews. I get nervous, my mouth goes dry as cotton, and words just fumble out of my head randomly like a bucket of Legos being dumped on the floor. I lose all ability to think on my feet, recognize opportunities to convey a positive impression of myself, or say anything with any conviction or confidence.

How bad could it really have been, you ask? Let's just say that at one point I referenced fantasy football. I wish I were kidding.

The good news is I don't have to be nervous about whether I'll get the job or not. The rest of the week, I can relax, have a good hearty laugh at myself, and figure out how I am going to improve for next time.

2 comments:

Joe said...

Whoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoa...you're not getting off without telling us HOW you worked "fantasy football" into an interview.

j.h.k. said...

The question had something to do with what is a way in which your skills or personality or something failed you. I described without any eloquence or fluidity how I am very emotional and how I allow you bums in the league to push my buttons sometimes. I said kicking Adam out of the league was a failure on my part.

The good news is the next time someone asks that question, I have a fresh, more business related experience to tell them about, the time I totally choked in an interview.