Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Christmas In My Head (Now here's a wall so you can bang yours against it)







December is finally here! Amen. Do you know what this means? It means the advent calendar is now more than decoration! It's in use, baby! It means the lighting of the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center! Perhaps above all else, it means I don't have to hear it anymore from the "Christmas music, already?" crowd. Those sad sack, anti-Christmas Eeyores have finally run out of material to moan about. Nothing can stop me now!

One reason I start early every year is that there is so little time actually available to do all the holiday-related things I want to do each year. Every year I think of baking all day one day, seeing a million movies, making people gifts, writing out Christmas cards, writing out Christmas letters, visiting friends and family, curling up with Mr. Frodo and a good book, playing boardgames, taking a trip up to the mountains, going to Disneyland, decorating the tree, having a Christmas cocktail party, going caroling, volunteering at a soup kitchen, exercising to offset the holiday gluttony, chopping wood, going to Starbucks for seasonal delights, strolling the beautifully decorated canals of Belmont Shore...I seriously could go on. The problem is I lose 40 hours a week to fluorescent lighting and paper pushing. Other than the three paltry weekends that fill up around Halloween, I am forced to fulfill my Christmas checklist through fantasy, daydreaming if you will. This, my friends, is why I decorate the office and play Christmas music with two weeks until Thanksgiving, because I need audio/visual aids. I sometimes wonder if I sometimes had the free time to do all the things I'd like to in a holiday season if I wouldn't explode. In the wise words of the immortal Clark W. Griswold, Jr., I might be the jolliest asshole this side of the nuthouse, needing plastic surgery to remove my smile. Man would it be sweet. Of course there is one crucial element of that list that absolutely cannot be spared nor can it, unfortunately, be daydreamed away....shopping.

I love Christmas shopping as long as 1) I have ample time so that I can go at an enjoyable pace and 2) I have a list to work from that I feel confident about. In other words, almost never. And that is what creates the darker side of Christmas in my head. As Kory or Adam or actually almost any friend can attest, I am chronically indecisive. I think about things way more than they usually merit. I hem and haw about which jeans to wear each day. I agonize over what to have for lunch. When it comes to something as meaningful as giving Christmas gifts, I fall victim to paralysis by analysis year after year after year. I think that's nice...but would they really like it? I don't know.....Do they already have one? I don't know if when they open this it will mean to them what it means to me to give it to them. I could explain it I guess, but how good a gift could it be if I have to explain it? Should I just go with a gift card? No, I refuse. Should I ask so-and-so what they want since they probably know? That's just giving up. What about this, this seems like them. But is it personal enough or does it scream "work gift being re-gifted?" Is it wrong to give Christmas stuff as Christmas gifts? I guess it might be since they don't open it until the pinnacle of the season. What about tickets to something? Then they'll think I'm implying that they have to take me and will not believe me even if I swear otherwise. I got it! That would be perfect! Boo-ya! Shit, I can't really afford that. You know what, the budget is a guideline. This is the gift and the cost is secondary. Although I think so-and-so is bound to be getting them that. What if they like the one from me better and it causes friction in their relationship. Better play it safe and abort. Screw it, I can't make a good decision in this hypertensive state. I'll sleep on it and start fresh tomorrow.

Every. Single. Time.

It really saps my Christmas spirit, I tell ya. Friends, please know this, if I ever give you a gift that you don't like, it is not for a lack of care or thought. If it truly is the thought that counts, chances are, it's the greatest gift in the world even if your taste says otherwise.

P.S. Which Christmas album should I get, Tony Bennett, Diana Krall, or Neil Diamond? I can't make these choices on my own.

10 comments:

Valerie Koop said...

My favorite post yet. You had me at 'the list of things you'd like to do.'

But.

The "going to the mountains" is happening this year, so you can rest assured that not all is lost.

Brasky said...

There is no way that we don't do at least 2 things off that list when I am there, so you are farther along then you thought.

Kory said...

You forgot, "snuggling."

Anonymous said...

I have Bennett and Krall's Christmas. Diana Krall's is good but a bit slow. Tony Bennett is pretty sweet. And to quote what about bob: there are two types of people in this world. Those who like Neil Diamond and those who don't.

Joe said...

"Chopping wood"?

j.h.k. said...

I went with Krall. I have had my eye on it for about two years now so I decided to treat myself. I'll watch for Bennett in further sales. Upon further review, Neil didn't make the cut. Nicole got the Weezer album which is good too.

Joe, are you denying the manly, holiday appeal of chooping wood?

In a related story, if the weather cooperates, I just might be plowing my first driveway this Christmas. That is NOT a euphemism.

Anonymous said...

What is wrong with Kenny G? Dad Dave...

j.h.k. said...

Already got him!

Conrad said...

Mom and Dad have a bunch of wood that needs to be split. You know I'm a pop man, I've always been partial to Mariah Carey's Christmas album. I have a great Jazz one too I'll give to you when I come home.

Brasky said...

Watch yourself when chopping wood, I chopped this tree down last year (http://thecontaminated.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/world-biggest-tree-9.jpg) and people really freaked out.