Thursday, April 10, 2008

A Bettin' Man

--In an effort to make this blog interesting, I have decided to "make it interesting." I have issued a bet, a challenge if you will, to Joe to take me on, blog-for-blog. Don't Mind Me vs. The Year of Joe in a retirement match! Loser deletes his blog and does not create a new one. How will the winner of this bet be determined you ask? Why fantasy baseball, of course! You see, Joe was making some bold statements about how incredible his pitching staff was and how he would bet on his staff against any other in our league. So really he's the one who initiated the bet, I'm just stepping up to the plate with the stakes. He hasn't replied yet but I've never known Two-and-O Joe to run from a fight. A topless woman, yes, but never a fight.

--On that note, I know this is a little late (though not too late), but here it is, my 2nd annual major league baseball picks:

AL West: Angels
AL Central: Tigers
AL East: Blue Jays (CRAZY!)
AL Wild Card: Indians

NL West: Diamondbacks
NL Central: Brewers
NL East: Mets
NL Wild Card: Rockies

ALDS: Angels over Indians, Tigers over Blue Jays
NLDS: Rockies over Brewers, Mets over Diamondbacks

ALCS: Tigers over Angels
NLCS: Mets over Rockies

World Series: Mets over Tigers

2008 World Champion New York Mets! Write it down.

--Couple other bets going on as well....On a daily level, a coworker has bet me that I can't go the entire day without speaking in some sort of voice or accent that is not my own. This will be tough because once I get working and I'm focused on something because it's an unconscious thing for me. The Russian accent just comes out on its own. Personally, I think it makes for a boring day just talking and acting normal, but, hey, I love a challenge.

--The other bet is on a larger scale. Last night my dad was telling me how once I got married, I would inevitably gain weight. I told him I will do no such thing and that we should put it to a bet. So on my 1.5 year anniversary, we will compare my weight and body fat percentage against the same measurements taken on or around my wedding day. This could be the easiest bet I've ever entered into. In order to keep it interesting, I might issue a side challenge to myself to lower the b.f. percentage by a few points. The only thing we need to figure out are the stakes. Any suggestions?

--Ya know what I feel like doing today? Watching great sitcoms like Cheers, Seinfeld, and Spin City. All day long. There would be pizza involved too. Then, at night, I'd take in a baseball game.

But, alas, pushing paper under fluorescent lights will have to do.

7 comments:

Online Dating Girl said...

I think you should make the wedding/body fat challenge super easy and just gain a lot of weight now. Like 50 to 60 lbs. Sure, not great wedding photos and a possible health risk but BOOM easy win.

AJ said...

She's onto something there, John.

In fact, can I participate? I can TOTALLY gain weight. I'm happy to take one for the team.

Adam and Myisha Partridge said...

I have to say there is no gaming the system. If you put on 50-60 pounds now, you will just put on more after you are married. It's just a fact of life and certainly nothing to be ashamed of. In some cultures, a big tummy is a symbol of prosperity.

Adam and Myisha Partridge said...

And as an aside, I am probably in the best shape of my life right now and I'm still probably 20 lbs heavier than when I got married.

j.h.k. said...

So if I'm hearing you correctly, you want in on this action. I'll take all bets. Anybody else?

Adam and Myisha Partridge said...

I'm no gambling man, but I LOVE the retirement match between you and Joe. Two go in, only one leaves!

j.h.k. said...

Joe still hasn't accepted that bet.