Thursday, February 14, 2008

February 14, 2008

Hearts swoon. Pitchers and catchers report, baby.


Of course, it is also Valentine's Day. I think a love poem is in order...

365
By Jack Buck
When someone asks you your favorite sport
And you answer Baseball in a blink
There are certain qualities you must possess
And you're more attached than you think.
In the frozen grip of winter
I'm sure you'll agree with me
Not a day goes by without someone
Talking baseball to some degree.
The calendar flips on New Year's Day
The Super Bowl comes and it goes
Get the other sports out of the way
The green grass and the fever grows.
It's time to pack a bag and take a trip
To Arizona or the Sunshine State
Perhaps you can't go, but there's the radio
So you listen-you root-you wait.
They start the campaign, pomp and pageantry reign
You claim the pennant on Opening Day
From April till fall
You follow the bouncing white ball
Your team is set to go all the way.
They fall short of the series
You have a case of the "wearies"
And need as break from the game
But when Christmas bells jingle
You feel that old tingle
And you're ready for more of the same.
It will be hot dogs for dinner
Six months of heaven, a winner
Yes, Baseball has always been it.
You would amaze all your friends
If they knew to what ends
You'd go for a little old hit.
The best times you're had
Have been with your Mom and your Dad
And a bat and a ball and a glove.
From the first time you played
Till the last time you prayed
It's been a simple matter of love.

9 comments:

Conrad said...

You're blog has made me laugh, question myself, and sometimes angry at your hippie ways; but now, you've made me weep tears of joy. God, I love baseball.

Adam and Myisha Partridge said...

Here is what I love about baseball: I love the unity of 9 players becoming one, I love the field, I love the conversational pace of the game, I love the history and the fact that my wife thinks going to a ball game is one of the most romantic things that I can do with her.
Of course baseball has flaws (huge lack of parity, everyone pulling hammies, the worst post season of any sport, and the worst fantasy sport). Does it take away from my baseball bona fides if I think that the best thing about baseball is Spring Training?

j.h.k. said...

I don't think you really love the game. You might think you do but no one who truly loves it could say that it's the worst postseason or fantasy sport.

Conrad said...

I love baseball for baseball. Spring, Winter, Summer, Fall. Anytime, anyplace, anything.

(You've got yourself one hell'va wife)

Adam and Myisha Partridge said...

John, seriously, it's just me and you here: when's the last time you watched the world series and really enjoyed it (aside from 2003)?
And can you look me in the eye and tell me fantasy baseball is better than fantasy football?

Adam and Myisha Partridge said...

And I do have a hellava wife!

Adam and Myisha Partridge said...

I meant 2002

j.h.k. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
j.h.k. said...

2006. I enjoy watching any World Series that doesn't include the Boston Red Sox. Am I enraptured by it? No, but my interest in any championship game is lessened if my team is not involved. Baseball and football are the only two sports I enjoy watching when it's just any two old teams playing.

I can look you in the eye and tell you fantasy baseball is 100 times better than fantasy football. It's the most involved, most demanding, most interesting of all fantasy sports. Not to mention the fact that it was the first fantasy sport which should count for something. Fantasy football is fun, but it's more for chicks and neophytes than for real sports nuts. Hey maybe that's why you like it so much!