Wednesday, September 13, 2006

All Over the Map

Should September 11th be a national holiday, one which we don't have to come into work? Personally, I would sure prefer it that way. It was tough to do my job that day. It was difficult to find the motivation to deal with people's petty complaints and grievances. It was a day I would have much preferred to spend just laying low at home, not necessarily dwelling on 9/11/01 but giving it its due pause. We have so many other holidays that are meaningless to us beyond being an extra day to spend at the beach. This, to me, is one that I would actually make honorable use of. I understand the argument against it, that we need to flex our "resolve" by not letting terrorists' murderous attacks disrupt our American lifestyle, but, personally, I just don't feel that way. Maybe there is an argument to be made that if we made it a national holiday, 100 years from now when all those who witnessed 9/11 are gone, that it would become just another long weekend. I can understand protecting against that, but I don't think it could ever happen. Not with the images captured that day. Not that it doesn't already, but if the attack on Pearl Harbor had been captured on digital video from multiple perspectives, wouldn't that day resonate more with us, a generation who was not alive to witness it? That sentence is oddly worded. I hope it made sense. Anyway, I think I would like to not have to come to work on 9/11. My job seems somewhat irrelevant to society as it is, but on that day it's really hard to find the point in any of it. Could it be an optional day? I don't know.

I know this is just me....but I am kind of weirded out by people leaving comments on musician's myspace pages. It seems to me to be equal parts stalkerish and trying too hard to impress someone. I don't really know why this is and I am sure that I'm just crazy, but there ya have it.

I don't like it when I come into the kitchen and find someone has taken their food out early and left precious seconds frozen in time on the timer. I always have to clear it to get back to the clock. This is a tic, I realize.

I also don't like it when people leave toothpaste in the sink. It doesn't drive me nuts or anything, it's just something I have to fix if I see it.

No comments: