Thursday, April 28, 2011

ENOUGH ALREADY!




I have been biting my tongue on this one because even I realize that this particular inanity is without even a hint of charm, but it's too much, I can't take it anymore. I lack the discipline to continue to turn the other cheek.

First of all, I realize I have a certain level of vanity, which I think justifies my cause in this instance as it takes the form of fashion sense. I fully understand and appreciate a fashion trend. I read the catalogs, I feel the same itch and temptation as the next gal. I am a loyal GQ subscriber for crying out loud. I get it. BUT! I think what we have here is a danger ever present with following fashion trends, but rarely realized. If a trend becomes hot enough and enough people jump on board, it overflows so to speak. You walk down the street and see half the people wearing the exact same thing. In that case, the point of fashion, to express oneself or at least project one's ideal image of oneself, is turned on its head. The desire to look special ends up making you look quite ordinary and humorously conformist.

In other words...

CAN WE FUCKING STOP WITH THE NAUTICAL-ISH BLUE-AND-WHITE HORIZONTAL STRIPED SHIRTS AND SWEATERS?!?!?!?!?! ENOUGH ALREADY!!! IT'S TOO MUCH!!! NO ONE IS SAILING!!! AS EXPLAINED ABOVE, IT'S A NICE LOOKING GARMENT, BUT IT LOOKS STUPID WHEN EVERY THIRD PERSON IS WEARING IT AND EVEN WORSE WHEN YOU HAVE THREE VARIATIONS OF IT AND WEAR ALL THREE IN ANY GIVEN WORK WEEK!


(Deep breath)


Sorry, I know that sounds petty, but I just needed to vent.


4 comments:

Conrad said...

Should I throw away my blue jeans?

j.h.k. said...

I think you're making the point that such shirts are not exactly new and are as timeless as a pair of jeans. Totally agree. However, even though they are not a new design, they are very much more popular than in any season in recent memory. The whole world is in horizontal stripes all of a sudden!

Judi Stutz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Valerie Koop said...

"No one is sailing!"

You've got me laughing and nodding in agreement all at once.

Don't stop blogging, okay?