Friday, May 02, 2008

FIRED UP, READY TO GO!


Note the start time. Not 8:00, not 8:30...8:01, folks.

--Iron Man, baby, Iron Man! Wooooooo! Tonight is your night, bro...It occurs to me that I haven't been to a movie in a damn long time, which is weird because I love going to the movies. Well, I can think of no finer film to go back with than this year's first summer blockbuster. Popcorn will be had. Maybe an Icee. Maybe there's something new that I don't even know about.


--What's the best job you ever had? I was thinking this week that I think my two favorite jobs were working at Borders and the Alumni/Special Events office in college. And neither paid very much. I guess that shouldn't be surprising. Part of their appeal, I'm sure, had to do with the time in my life I worked those jobs, when my checks went to clothes, music, booze, and gas rather than student loans, rent, gas (at a completely different level obviously). But it's not that simple either. Before it ever got to the discretionary spending, I enjoyed the work itself. What a concept! I need to figure out how to get back to that somehow. I wonder if Starbucks is hiring.



--Looking at an apartment today. Two bedroom, one bath, nice unit, good parking, great location, below market price...and also right next door to my dad and stepmom. No shared walls, mind you, but still. I'm not sure how I feel about the idea. I'm conflicted. The benefits: father-son comraderie, shared barbecues, beers, the like...always someone there to feed the cats, sign for packages, borrow a cup of flour. I don't think I need to list the potential negatives. I just don't know, ya know. I suppose it's hard for anybody to weigh in since the situation is determined by everyone's unique relationship with their parents. Tough call.


To be continued...


3 comments:

Adam and Myisha Partridge said...

The best job I ever had was working for the JAG Corps in DC a couple of summers ago, fascinating, challenging and rewarding work, great work place environment, etc. (which is why I pursued full time employment there) But outside of that, it's hard to nail down 'cuz it depends on your criteria;
Most interesting? Best work place environment? People you liked? Easiest? Best Pay? I probably have a different job for every criteria.
As for leaving next to your parents, if your serious about moving to P-town, then it won't be that long to begin with. I can also say that moving in with my folks for a few months before law school actually helped our relationship a lot.

Joe said...

*I saw the image and for a second, thought you signed up FOR an Ironman.

*Yeah, do what you love, man. I know you'll find something.

*Don't do it. Got a bad feeling about this one.

Kory said...

The favorite job would have to be Blair. If I could make the cash and the medical bennys at Blair that I make at the school district I would switch in a second. Sometimes I just sit at Blair when a game is going on and think, "Im getting payed right now!"

yeah, I dont think I would move into the same neighborhood as my parents much less the building next door. I love my folks but I need a buffer zone of at least 3 miles.