Friday, December 16, 2005

Deck The Halls...

Today is our "holiday" party at work. First of all, why is everyone so fuckin' afraid to say "Christmas" these days? Christians telling people they know damn well are Christians "Happy Holidays" for no better reason than they are afraid of assuming religious affiliation. Why are we so paranoid about saying "Merry Christmas" to someone that might turn out to be Jewish? Is it really that big a deal? Do Jews really get offended by this?

"Hey John, Merry Christmas."

"Actually, Pete, I am Jewish."

"Oh okay, my fault. Happy Chanukah then, my friend."

"Thanks, compadre."

End of story, you would think. Maybe the thing to do is to use the Chanukah greeting as the default. That's safe, right?

Anywho, I'd like to take this time to say there are few things in this world better than company-sponsored office alcohol.

Happy Holidays, everyone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me just say, as a Jew, you can wish me a Merry Christmas all you want. It does not offend me. And I'm not gonna be the tool that corrects someone either. I'll just smile and say "thanks. You too" ad be on my way.

People are way too fucking sensitive.

Is it sync'd yet? said...

I say it because even if your not christan you still are alive durring Christmas. I mean for christ sake it is a "time of year" and you don't have to have be christan to have a good time do you.

So on that note:

Best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low- stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral, winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most joyous traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, but with respect for the religious persuasion of others who choose to practice their own religion as well as those who choose not to practice a religion at all.

Plus, I wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the generally accepted calendar year 2006, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions have helped make our society great, without regard to the race, creed color, religious, or sexual preferences of the wisher.

Most Sincerely,

The_Gnat.
.

j.h.k. said...

that was classic